It's no surprise then to see that ICONs are back for FIFA 22 -- set to be released on 1st October -- but what is a surprise is the announcement of a brand new tier of now-retired players with the game set to introduce FUT Heroes to the fray.
FUT Hero cards will feature players who, not quite the status of a Pele or Maradona, but who made themselves legends in their own right for their respective clubs; think Tim Cahill at Everton or Henrik Larrson at Celtic (though I'd argue he's an ICON but that's a story for a different article).
FUT Heroes will celebrate players who made their mark on the game. (Picture: EA Sports)
These cards will also function slightly differently than ICON cards, the latter of which are not tied to a respective club and all that entails for team chemistry. So for example, Diego Milito, who spearheaded Inter to a historic treble including the Champions League; his FUT Hero card will be a Serie A/Argentina card.
Another way to think of them is tier 2 ICONs, with all those revealed so far having overall ratings of between 85-89.
How do I get FUT Heroes cards?
FUT Hero cards -- like ICONs -- will be available by a number of means including purchasing them on the open market.
They will also be available by completing Squad Building Challenges.
Those that pre-order the game before 12th August will also receive one guaranteed FUT Heroes card.
How do FUT Hero cards work?
FUT Hero cards represent celebrated players at their most esteemed moments, though unlike ICON cards there will be just one version of each.
These players will be tied to a league and nationality but not the club where they were at their best.
FUT Heroes will offer a green link to players in the same league as them, as well as the usual chemistry for players from the same nation.
Who has a FUT Hero card?
There are currently nine FUT Hero cards revealed, with more promised to be unveiled in August.
Hopefully, FIFA 22 players will put more respect on Fernando Morientes name. (Picture: EA Sports)
So far, the list of FUT Hero cards includes:
- Mario Gomez - 88 (Germany/Bundesliga)
- Tim Cahill - 85 (Australia/Premier League)
- Diego Milito - 88 (Argentina/Serie A)
- Jorge Campos - 87 (Mexico/Liga BBVA MX)
- Fernando Morientes - 89 (Spain/LaLiga Santander)
- Al Jaber - 86 (Saudi Arabia/MBS Pro League)
- Robbie Keane - 86 (Republic of Ireland/Premier League)
- Abedi Pelé - 89 (Ghana/Ligue 1 Uber Eats)
- Clint Dempsey - 85 (USA/MLS)
More expected and a well-regarded FIFA leaker -- who claimed that Cafu and Wayne Rooney would be joining the ICONs -- has also provided a list of players who are getting Hero cards.
- Joe Cole - 87 (England/Premier League)
- Iván Córdoba - 87 (Colombia/Serie A)
- Antonio Di Natale - 88 (Italy/Serie A)
- Jerzy Dudek - 85 (Poland/Premier League)
- Elber - N/A (Brazil/Bundesliga)
- David Ginola - 89 (France/Premier League)
- Jürgen Kohler - 89 (Germany/Serie A)
- Freddie Ljungberg - 86 (Sweden/Premier League)
- Aleksandr Mostovoi - 86 (Russia/LaLig Santander)
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer - 86 (Norway/Premier League)
- Lars Ricken - 85 (Germany/Bundesliga)
We will update this list as we get more confirmed names.