Halo fans all over the world rejoiced once 343 Industries announced that the Master Chief Collection would make its way to PC. With Halo Reach, Combat Evolved, and Halo 2 Anniversary currently available, it's time for another beloved entry in the form of Halo 3.
In a lengthy developer update posted by 343 on the Halo Waypoint website, they revealed Halo 3's flight is currently an ongoing process, and they're looking at getting some of the content out during the first weeks of June.
To avoid any complications, the rollout will include some elements of the campaign, multiplayer maps, as well as the Forge and Theater modes, here's a rundown of things Halo insiders can expect:
- Customization: Updated customization will be available for Halo 3
- Forge: Forge will be available for players during this flight
- Theatre: Theatre will be available for use with Mouse & Keyboard for Halo 3
- Challenges: The complete Challenge System, including the Challenge Hub screen, will be available for the first time in this flight
Flighting will support the following Campaign missions with options for all difficulty levels, single-player, and co-operative online play:
- Campaign Missions: Sierra 117, The Storm, The Ark, The Covenant, and Halo.
- Social Games: 4v4, 8p FFA, 12p Infection, 8v8
- Competitive: H3 Team Hardcore (4v4), H3 Team Slayer (4v4) H3 Team Doubles (2v2)
- Halo 3 Multiplayer: Construct, Guardian, Last Resort, Narrows, Sandtrap, The Pit, Valhalla, Foundry, Standoff, Avalanche, Sandbox, and Heretic
Having a franchise that revolutionized online play in a platform where new players can experience sounds like a perfect starting point. Despite the goodwill, for many, it has been a failed transition, at least in the competitive side of things.
Back in December, when the MCC rollout started with Halo Reach, Twitch star Jaryd "Summit1g" Lazar complained about the advantage controller players had over mouse and keyboard, leaving him with a sour first experience with Halo on a new platform.
Regardless of this, it's always nice to see developers continuously update such a big endeavour as the Master Chief Collection, especially following one of the most disastrous launches in the history of modern gaming back in 2014.
When will Halo 3 be released on PC?
As we've said, no exact date for the release of Halo 3 is confirmed, however, the developers are "looking to get things rolling within the first few weeks of June."
Currently the Halo: The Master Chief Collection is available on Xbox and PC. Gamepass users can access the content, with the PC players able to launch Halo Reach, Halo Combat Evolved, and Halo 2: Anniversary only.