Overwatch 2 is one of the biggest free-to-play releases of the year that almost everyone wants to try. Since its launch, the game has been experiencing long server queues, and while the issue has subsided, for the most part, it can still occur.
Overwatch 1 was an incredibly popular multiplayer FPS of its time, and with Overwatch 2 replacing the first game entirely, it's no surprise that the game has had a massive player count since day one.
Of course, many new players are playing Overwatch 2 as well. Some are on platforms that are new to the Overwatch experience. One such platform is the recently released handheld device Steam Deck. But does Overwatch 2 work on Steam Deck? Our guide explains exactly that.
Overwatch 2 on Steam Deck explained
Fortunately, Overwatch 2 does work on Steam Deck. It means, you can fire up this team-based shooter wherever you want, whenever you want.
How to run Overwatch 2 on Steam Deck
Unfortunately, running Overwatch 2 on Steam Deck is a bit tedious, and we recommend following the steps written below if you want to make it work.
- Put your Steam Deck on 'Desktop Mode' and download the battle.net launcher.
- Launch Steam, and select the 'Add a non-Steam game to my library' option.
- Go to 'Downloads' and click on the 'battle.net.exe file.'
- Click on the exe file and select 'Add selected programs.'
- In your Steam library, right-click on the exe file and select 'Properties,' 'Compatibility,' and 'Force use of Specific Steam Play Compatibility Tool' in that order.
- Here, choose between 'Proton Experimental' or 'GE- Proton 7-10.'
- Go back to exe and complete the setup.
- Select 'Add a non-Steam game to my library' one more time.
- After that, look for '/home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata.'
- Find the 'PFX' folder inside the most recently modified folder.
- Now look for pfx/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Battle.net and find the battle.net launcher.
- Add the game to your library and download it.
While that is arguably a long list of steps to run Overwatch 2 on Steam Deck, it should be worth it, considering you get to play the game on the go.
- Every Rank And Division In Overwatch 2 Competitive
- Mercy's Super Jump In Overwatch 2 - Guide & Steps
- Overwatch 2 Trophies List - Hero & Event Achievements
- Crosshair Settings Guide For Better Aim - Overwatch 2
The Steam Deck can also run Overwatch 2 at up to 60 FPS, which makes this handheld version of the game superior to that of the Nintendo Switch's.
That's everything you need to know about Overwatch 2 on Steam Deck.
For more on the game, check our section dedicated to Overwatch 2 Season 1 news, guides, and features.
Featured image courtesy of Activision Blizzard.