After preloading or downloading Overwatch 2 on consoles or PC and then installing the new free-to-play title, there is one final step players need to take to enjoy the game. You must set up Overwatch 2 SMS protection and activate the SMS Protect feature on your Battle.net account.
This guide explains all the steps you need to take to set up SMS Protect for Overwatch 2, activate the security feature, and start playing within five minutes.
How To Activate Overwatch 2 SMS Protect
SMS Protect is required to play Overwatch 2. This makes it more difficult for bad actors to continue creating dozens of new accounts, as they require a phone number.
- How To Get Kiriko Skin In Overwatch 2 For Free
- Overwatch 2 Twitch Drops - Rewards And How To Claim
- Overwatch 2 - Competitive Play Update
- Overwatch 2 Hero Balance Changes For Launch
To set up and activate Overwatch 2, you will need a mobile device that can receive an SMS. WhatsApp, for example, won't do the trick. A VoIP phone number won't work either.
You must follow the steps below to set up Overwatch 2 SMS Protection and effectively activate SMS Protect on your Battle.net account.
- Visit the Battle.net accounts page.
- Log in using the account details you plan on playing Overwatch 2 with on your gaming platform of choice.
- On the right-hand side, click on "Account Details".
- Now, select the Add Phone Number option.
- Enter your phone number.
- Click on Continue.
- Pick up your phone and wait for an SMS to come through (it shouldn't take more than a few seconds).
- Enter the Verification Code sent via SMS and click Continue once more.
Congratulations! You have now set up Overwatch 2 SMS Protect, and you can start playing the game immediately.
Those who run into issues can also visit the Blizzard support page regarding receiving SMS notifications and more.
If you need to swap phones or numbers in the future, just follow the process above again, entering your new number. Remember, you do need to activate Overwatch 2 SMS Protect on Blizard to request refunds for anything purchased via the in-game shop.
If the SMS does not come through, attempt the process again. We suggest contacting Blizzard's customer service for your region if all else fails.
Check out the official Overwatch 2 launch trailer below in case you haven't seen it yet.
So there you have it, a step-by-step guide to setting up SMS Protect for Overwatch 2 so you can enjoy the free-to-play title on PC or consoles.
For more on the game, check our section dedicated to Overwatch 2 news, guides, and features.
Featured image courtesy of Blizzard Entertainment.