Dune: Awakening is an upcoming action-adventure survival MMO from Funcom, the same developer of the acclaimed title Conan Exiles. The game is set in the world of Arrakis and closely follows the story of the famed novel and motion picture Dune. This article details everything you need to know about Dune: Awakening, including when it releases, the cinematic release trailer, gameplay, and features.
Dune: Awakening - Release Date & Platforms
At the time of writing, there is no planned release date for Dune: Awakening. Notably, the game was first announced on 23rd August 2022 at Gamescom 2022 and later in an official press release on the Funcom website, along with an exciting cinematic trailer (embedded below).
Dune: Awakening will be available to play on Microsoft Windows PC (via Steam), PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X|S current-gen consoles (via their respective store pages). Interested players can add the game to their Steam Wishlist and sign up for the Dune: Awakening Beta program.
Dune: Awakening - Gameplay & Features
Dune: Awakening is an action-adventure MMO RPG that draws inspiration from Frank Herbert’s novels and Denis Villeneuve’s Academy Award-winning film Dune. The game is set on the fictional desert planet of Arrakis and compels players to "rise from survival to dominance" as they traverse the game's open world.
Described as a mesh of "grittiness and creativity" of survival games, Dune: Awakening also embraces the social interactivity of popular multiplayer titles to create a unique open-world survival MMO experience. "Rise from survival to dominance in a vast and seamless Arrakis shared by thousands of players."
- Fractured Online PC Specs - Minimum, Recommended & File Size
- All Major Announcements At Disney & Marvel Games Showcase 2022
- Conan Exiles – All Sorcerer Locations & Where To Find
- Tron: Identity - Release Date, Gameplay, Features & PC System Specs
Players can look forward to navigating unmapped sectors of Arrakis, discovering its secrets and riches while escaping the Coriolis storms and sandworms. "Build your home from [a] shelter to mighty base, and traverse the dunes in iconic vehicles from the universe."
These are the official features of Dune: Awakening, per the game's Steam store page.
- Survive the most dangerous planet in the universe. Build shelters against sandstorms, maintain your stillsuit, and master the old ways to walk even in the deepest deserts. Avoid or be devoured by the colossal sandworms that dwell beneath the sands.
- Explore the ever-changing face of Arrakis. Walk the ruins of long-forgotten biological testing stations, scavenge the wreckage of fallen spaceships, and wander the dusty halls of abandoned sietches. Head into unmapped sectors and be the first to discover secrets and riches before the Coriolis storms once again shift the sands and alter the landscape.
- Control the spice, control Arrakis. Hunt for spice blows and deploy your harvester, then protect it from opportunistic raiders and rival factions. Soak the sand in blood as massive battles shift seamlessly from foot to vehicles and from ground to ornithopters in the sky.
- Make plans within plans. Make a name for yourself among the inhabitants of Arrakis. Wield intrigue and force to influence the Landsraad and impact the world. Build your own faction through spice harvesting, trade, subterfuge, and open conflict.
- Awaken the sleeper. Tailor every aspect of your character. Consume spice to conquer your senses and acquire powerful abilities. Hone your craft to become sought out for the finest creations. Construct your fortress in the style of your choosing. The journey is yours to shape.
That's everything we know about Dune: Awakening at this time. We will endeavor to update this article once more information is known.
For more gaming content, check out our section dedicated to the latest video game news, updates, guides, features, and more.
Featured image courtesy of Funcom.