Sonic Frontiers is the latest title from SEGA, coming to all major gameplay platforms this November. Playing as Sonic the Hedgehog, players must explore the mysterious Starfall Islands while decrypting its many quests and secrets to collect Chaos Emeralds.
A first for the franchise, Sonic Frontiers boasts a massive open world while maintaining classic elements like rings and grind rails that veterans know and love. Here's everything about Sonic Frontiers, including its official release date, trailer, supported platforms, gameplay, features, and PC system requirements.
Sonic Frontiers - Release Date & Platforms
The release date for Sonic Frontiers is 8th November 2022 after its initial launch date was delayed for "quality control." The game will be available to play on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4|5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and Microsoft Windows PC platforms.
Sonic Frontiers is currently available for pre-order (details on how to pre-order and all the bonuses will be available in a separate article). Above, you can watch the official gameplay trailer for Sonic Frontiers from Tokyo Games Showcase (TGS) 2022.
Sonic Frontiers - Gameplay & Features
Sonic Frontiers is described as a 3D platform action-adventure single-player game developed by Sonic Team and published by SEGA. The game comprises a massive open-world (or zone) platforming experience.
Players will play as Sonic the Hedgehog, who has become stranded on the mysterious ancient Starfall Islands after separating from Tails, Knuckles, and Amy Rose, who were sucked into a wormhole.
While tasked with finding the missing Chaos Emeralds, players must battle hordes of enemies as they traverse the five gigantic Starfall Islands. "Jump into adventure, wield the power of the Ancients, and fight to stop these new mysterious foes."
The game will take roughly 20-30 hours to complete; however, finding all the in-game collectibles could have players searching for up to 60 hours or more. The game's features per the official Steam store page are indicated below.
- Experience open zone platforming - Sonic Frontiers boasts five massive overworld islands with "dense forests, overflowing waterfalls, and sizzling desert landscapes," each with unique challenges and secrets to uncover.
- Unparalleled high-speed freedom - Speed across the Starfall Islands while discovering side quests, solving puzzles, scaling enormous structures, fishing, and encountering friendly and not-so-friendly foes.
- Challenge yourself in Cyber Space - Discover and venture into Cyber Space portals across the island featuring signature 3D platforming at Sonic speeds, with new challenges to test your skills.
- Cyber-Powered combat - Encounter strange creatures on the Starfall Islands. Use the new battle system and skill tree upgrades to fight them off strategically by combining moves (dodges, parries, counters, combos) and the brand-new Cyloop ability to take them down.
- A new adventure full of mystery - Become Sonic and uncover the secrets of the remains of an ancient civilization plagued by robotic hordes. With only a few questions and a disembodied voice to guide you, save your friends and the inhabitants of the Starfall Islands from the colossal, mechanized threat.
Sonic Frontiers - PC System Requirements
Embracing a 3D open-world platforming experience, players must have a relatively good gaming setup to play Sonic Frontiers, with the minimum required processor being an Intel Core i7 (3rd generation) and GTX 1060 6GB graphics card.
- Operating System: Windows 10
- Processor: Intel Core i7-3770
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (6GB）
- DirectX: Version 11
- Storage: 28 GB available space
The developers warn that Sonic Frontiers will likely receive several updates over time, along with paid and free additional content. Consequently, these content additions may increase Sonic Frontiers' minimum PC system specifications.
Sonic Frontiers releases on 8th November and is available for pre-order on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4|5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and Microsoft Windows PC.
And that's all. For more related game content, check out our section dedicated to video game news, guides, features, leaks, and more.
All featured images are courtesy of SEGA.