Now that the initial honeymoon period following the release of Destiny 2's latest expansion, The Witch Queen, is over, Bungie is hard at work trying to rejuvenate the experience for new and veteran players alike.
Ahead of Season 17 and as Season of the Risen is winding down, the developers have revealed massive changes for one of the action MMO's most iconic modes, Iron Banner.
These changes are both on a micro and macro level, with broad system changes occurring across the PvP experience, ranging from how the game is played and the requirements needed to participate to the progression for earning loot.
There's plenty of information to break down. So here's everything you need to know about Destiny 2's Iron Banner changes coming with Season 17.
Destiny 2 Season 17 Iron Banner - Power Level Advantages
Iron Banner was one of the two PvP activities that had Power Level (PL) advantages enabled, the other being Trials of Osiris. However, starting with Season 17, PL will be disabled for Iron Banner.
This change means New Light Guardians can compete in a more evenly matched environment against veterans of the game. Of course, if you haven't found yourself a good weapon roll, you'll still likely be losing most of your duels. Still, it'll be easier to access the activity as a casual player.
Destiny 2 Season 17 Iron Banner - Rift mode
For season 17, Bungie will start rotating modes. Although Control has been the only featured mode for years when Iron Banner rolled around, their intention for upcoming seasons is to have rotating modes to avoid making Iron Banner feel stale.
Rift is a returning mode that sees teams of guardians try to dunk a spark in the opponent's net. Think Halo oddball or a game of football with shooting involved.
- How to get The Title SMG in Destiny 2
- All Destiny 2 Season 17 Exotic weapon changes
- How to complete the Top of Class quest in Destiny 2
- Destiny 2 Guardian Games Cup - Schedule, Format, Players, more
Take a look at the rundown provided by Bungie down below.
- A Spark appears in the center of the map a few seconds after a match starts or a point is scored and can be picked up by interacting with it for a couple of seconds. The Spark itself is a buff that allows full weapon and ability usage aside from Super.
- For the first five seconds after picking up the Spark, or for a few seconds after taking damage, both teams receive a waypoint for the Spark holder. After that, the waypoint only remains for the Spark holder’s own team
- If you die while carrying the Spark, it drops to the ground where you died (or nearby if the spot is not navigable).
- If you hold onto the Spark too long, it detonates.
- Team resurrections are enabled in Rift.
- There are no points for kills, just for Spark dunks. When Rift is in Iron Banner, the Hunt is on when your team has the Spark.
There are several ways to extend matches past the time limit:
- Continuation: At end of regulation time, If the current Spark holder could change the outcome of the match—either the game is tied, or if the current Spark holder is down one point—the match continues until the current Spark holder drops the Spark or scores.
- Sudden Death Multispark: If there is a tie after time is up, the game enters a 90-second overtime where three sparks spawn in midfield. Who will be the first to score?
- After the sudden-death timer is up, Sparks stop dropping on death, and any Sparks on the ground are removed. As soon as the last Spark is eliminated without a score, the match ends in a tie.
Destiny 2 Season 17 Iron Banner - Rewards
While we don't have information regarding the weapons and gear available during the new Iron Banner, we know the Token system that Bungie is slowly fading out will also be removed from this PvP activity.
Players will now have a reputation system with Bracus Forge, previously known as Lord Saladin, similar to the one seen with Zavala, Shaxx, or The Drifter. Furthermore, Iron Engram focusing will be available, letting players farm for a specific piece of gear or weapon they want to.
Bungie also provided a breakdown of the new Iron Banner reputation system for new players:
- Play matches with each match earning more towards Iron Banner reputation.
- Win matches to earn a small bonus based on your current Iron Banner rank.
- Wear Iron Banner armor (or just as ornaments on your own non-Iron Banner gear) and equip Iron Banner weapons to max out your gear multiplier at 200%.
- Five total pieces must be equipped, though please remember this includes Iron Banner armor and Iron Banner ornaments.
- Complete the daily Iron Banner challenges to tack on 100% to your challenge multiplier for the rest of the week. Yes, this means for each challenge.
- Use an Iron Banner emblem for an additional 10% emblem multiplier.
Notably, a new quest will be provided by Bracus Forge to help ease players into these system changes. Daily challenges will also be available for players to tackle, up to four each time Iron Banner starts. Pinnacle weekly rewards have been dismissed.
Finally, a new Iron Banner Seal will be up for grabs for those hardcore Destiny 2 veterans looking for an extra challenge.
Destiny 2 Season 17 Iron Banner - Schedule
To make Iron Banner a more exclusive event, it will run for less time each season. So for Season 17, these are the dates you can expect Bracus Forge to be at The Tower:
- Season 17, Week 2 - starts 31st May.
- Season 17, Week 8 - starts 12th July.
Exotics, Catalyst & God Rolls - Alter of Reflection Catalyst Quest | Austringer God Roll | Calus Midi Tool God Roll | Dead Man's Tale God Roll | Fixed Odds God Roll | Hawkmoon God Roll | How To Get Come To Pass | How To Get Dawn Chorus | How To Get Omnioculus | How To Get Star-Eater Scales | Mechabre God Roll | Osteo Striga Catalyst | Riptide God Roll | Queens and Worms Quest
Game Guides - Destiny 2 Redeem Codes | How To Unlock All Subclasses | Memories of Ruin Puzzle Solution | Strikes Guide | Where To Farm Cabal | Where To Farm Fallen | Where To Farm Hive | Where To Farm Scorn | Where To Farm Vex | How To Get 100k Nightfall Score |
Raid Guides - Master King's Fall Totem Challenge Explained |
Featured image courtesy of Bungie.