Santa Monica Studio’s forthcoming release, God of War Ragnarök, is the highly anticipated sequel to 2018’s God of War, which saw Kratos navigating the Norse realm alongside his son, Atreus. As players wait for the game’s launch, you can avoid the launch day mania as pre-loads are available for PS4 and PS5 owners, guaranteed they have around 106 GB of storage.
If you cannot wait until the game’s global launch this November, there may be a way to play the game ahead of players in Europe, Africa, and North and South America. This guide details how to get early access to God of War Ragnarök on PlayStation 4|5 consoles.
How To Play God of War Ragnarök Early
As we fast approach the release of the much-anticipated sequel, God of War Ragnarök, on 9th November 2022, pre-loading is now available to those who’ve purchased the digital version of the game. But if you want to play God of War Ragnarök early, there is a workaround to have full early access to the game before most players.
To gain full access to play God of War Ragnarök, you can change your region on your PlayStation Network (PSN) account. Moreover, if available, you’ll need to change it from your current region to New Zealand, as the game will release at 12 a.m. (i.e., midnight) local time on 9th November 2022.
Therefore, by implementing this change, you’ll have full gameplay access to God of War Ragnarök a few hours ahead of everyone else, depending on the time zone. It does, however, come with a catch: when creating a PSN account, you can’t change your region to New Zealand or any other region.
To mitigate this, you can create a separate PSN account and set it to the New Zealand region before purchasing God of War Ragnarök from the PlayStation Store. However, you can only buy the game using the region's local currency, New Zealand Dollars, to complete the transaction.
Here's how to create a separate PSN account and utilize New Zealand as the preferred region detailed below:
- Navigate the taskbar and scroll until the Account option.
- Select "Switch User" or "Log Out" before choosing the "Add User" option.
- Within this pop-up menu, under "Add a User to this PS5", click "Get Started" and agree to the system's License Agreement to progress.
- Then, create a new PSN account before adding your personal information, including your date of birth, a different email address, and a password.
- Select New Zealand as your country or region, which prompts you to add additional information, such as the preferred province, city, and postal code, which can be looked up online.
- An email will be sent to verify or confirm the creation of the PSN account before including banking or credit card details for purchases.
With the account created and the game purchased, you can enjoy playing God of War Ragnarök hours ahead of most players. However, avoid posting details and gameplay footage online, as the game's developer Santa Monica Studio warned players from doing so at launch.
We thank the YouTube channel YourSixStudios for the complete tutorial on changing your PSN account's country or region. Please consider subscribing to their channel for more content.
Is God of War Ragnarok Worth It? The Reviews Are In! | How Long is God of War Ragnarok? Story Length & Full Completion | God of War Ragnarok Collector's Edition - Price, Mjolnir, And More | God Of War - Order Of Games, Platforms, And More
All images are courtesy of Santa Monica Studio.