If you enjoy playing a lot of ranked matches in Overwatch 2, you probably noticed that there are plenty of people playing Genji. That is because he is one of the best damage-role characters in the game.
Players looking to get a lot of competitive points in Overwatch 2 should highly consider picking up Genji. His high mobility and damage output make him a desirable pick no matter what mode you are playing.
Understanding Genji And His Abilities
To get a better understanding of how you can play Genji in Overwatch 2, let us take a look at his abilities and tips:
- Damage Role (Passive) - Eliminations grant damage characters 25% increased reload and movement speed for 2.5 seconds.
- Cyber-Agility (Passive) - Genji can climb on walls and double jump.
- Shuriken (Weapon) - Throw a burst of three shurikens in either a straight line or in a fan.
- Deflect (Ability) - Deflect projectiles coming towards you in the direction you are facing.
- Swift Strike (Ability) - Dash forward and hit enemies with your sword. Eliminations will reset the cooldown.
- Dragonblade (Ultimate) - Genji can swing his sword to deal massive melee damage to an enemy.
The most important thing to note about Genji is his Cyber-Agility. This allows him to move around the map very freely compared to a large majority of the heroes you can play as.
- Mercy's Super Jump In Overwatch 2 - Guide & Steps
- Overwatch 2 Trophies List - Hero & Event Achievements
- Crosshair Settings Guide For Better Aim - Overwatch 2
- Best Ways To Level Up & Get XP In Overwatch 2
Going around and flanking enemies is the ideal way you would want to play as Genji. Once you have gotten close, throw shurikens at your enemy and finish them off with a Swift Strike. The cooldown will reset and you can use that to your advantage to either get out or do more damage.
One thing that Genji is actually very good at is punishing ultimate moves. Characters like Reaper or Roadhog can have their ultimate abilities entirely deflected by Genji.
There are certain heroes that Genji does very poorly against because he cannot reflect their attacks at all. Winston and Zyra are great counters to Genji because they have beam attacks for their weapons which cannot be deflected.
Ana is also a good counter to Genji because she can put him to sleep which stops his high mobility. Mei also works as well because she can slow him down with her ice and her attacks are not easily deflected.
For more on the game, check our section dedicated to Overwatch 2 news, guides, and features.
Featured image courtesy of Blizzard Entertainment.