As a sequel to the 1999 classic, Chocobo Racing, Square Enix unleashed Chocobo GP on the Nintendo Switch on 10th March 2022. The game is a spinoff of the Final Fantasy franchise in celebration of its 35th anniversary, featuring characters and locations from across the franchise. While players can purchase the game from the Nintendo eShop, many are slamming it already due to microtransactions. There is, however, a way to play Chocobo GP for free without paying a cent.
In this guide, we outline what Chocobo GP and how you can see what all the fuss is about by getting the Lite version for free.
How to play Chocobo GP for free
There's a Lite version of Chocobo GP which you can play for free instead of opening your wallet and forking out $49.99.
A short description of Chocobo GP explains what the game is all about: "Get set for a new racing experience, featuring a roster of dozens of your favourite Chocobo characters, complete with their own unique abilities and variants.
- Is there a free GTA 5 next-gen upgrade option?
- Is Assassin's Creed Valhalla Dawn of Ragnarok free?
- COD Warzone Prime Gaming February Rewards: FREE bundle
Equip Magicites and take out the competition as you drift through various familiar courses in online and offline multiplayer modes. Compete in tournaments and become the reigning champion of GP!"
To get Chocobo GP Lite for free, simply head on over to the game's page on Nintendo eShop and choose the right version as you can see in the image above.
The Chocobo GP Lite content is pretty good. It gives players access to the Story Prologue as well as access to the Chocobo GP tournament mode, three characters and more.
It also allows players to carry over their progress if they decide to purchase the game.
Check out a list of features for the Chocobo GP Lite version below:
- In Chocobo GP Lite, players can play the Story Mode Prologue, and participate in both local and online multiplayer*, using a limited amount of characters.
- Chocobo GP Lite players can also join local multiplayer races hosted by a player who owns the Chocobo GP full game.
- Both Chocobo GP or Chocobo GP Lite players are able to race in the 64-player knock-out style online tournament, Chocobo GP mode.
- With your purchase of Chocobo GP, you can carry over your saved data in Chocobo GP Lite, including any items and in-game currency acquired through your racing adventure.
- The only online versus mode available to play on the Lite version is Chocobo GP mode.
The full version, of course, has a complete story mode, Time Attack races, Custom Races and Series races. It also features a full roster of characters each with unique abilities and variants.
To get an idea of what Chocobo GP's gameplay looks like on the Nintendo Switch, check out a trailer below.
So there you have it, a way to play and try out Chocobo GP for free. While the Lite version does, of course, lack all the content of the full game, it's a nice way to enjoy the initial experience without opening your wallet.
Keep in mind that the full version does still have microtransactions and that your progress (as well as in-game purchases) will carry over if you decide to purchase the game.
Featured image courtesy of Square Enix.