The fifth instalment in the popular series of hack and slash games is about to be released this summer, and it is slated for release on all major platforms, including the Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC via Steam.
Samurai Warriors 5 has been designed as a soft reboot of the franchise, which means that it won't be a direct sequel to the previous main entries in the series, rather it will give a fresh and modernized look and changes, but still offers familiar characters and gameplay that fans love.
Samurai Warriors 5 will once again revisit the warring states era spanning from the end of the Ōnin War to the Incident at Honnōji, and this time around we will follow the lives of officers Nobunaga Oda and Mitsuhide Akechi, with a big focus on their personal struggles and well as military actions.
With that being said, let's check out everything you need to know before the release.
Samurai Warriors 5 gameplay & features
(Picture: Koei Tecmo)
Not much has been revealed about the game's gameplay, except that Samurai Warriors 5 will hack and slash "tactical action" game, just like its predecessors.
In a usual manner of the genre in Japan, you will usually fight as a single character against an army of enemies, with a goal to eventually defeat the enemy's commander.
The game will offer a total of 37 Samurai Warriors, with many old characters being redesigned, while introducing 16 completely new characters.
The game has also undergone a lot of rework in terms of gameplay and combat mechanics in an effort to make combat "more thrilling and dazzling", with the introduction of new features like the Hyper Attack.
Samurai Warriors 5 install and download file size
At the time of writing, Koei Tecmo hasn't yet revealed details in regards to the space needed to install the game, but we will update the article as soon as this information becomes available.
Samurai Warriors 5 system requirements
(Picture: Koei Tecmo)
Similarly to the install size, information about the game's PC system requirements is not yet available at the moment.
The game releases on PC (Steam) one month after its launch in Japan, so we can expect PC system requirements near the end of June.
How to preload Samurai Warriors 5?
And while we still don't know the size of the game, we are sure that many of you will want to play the game on its release day. In order to do that, the best thing is to preload the game, so that it can be ready for playing the same moment it releases.
In order to do that, you will want to pre-load Samurai Warriors 5 before the release date, so that when it launches it will already be installed and ready for playing.
(Picture: Koei Tecmo)
No matter if you play on the Switch, PlayStation, Xbox, or PC, you can use the pre-load function to have the game downloaded on your system and ready for play on the launch day.
Here's what you will need to do. Of course, keep in mind that in order to pre-load the game, you will first need to preorder it.
How to preload Samurai Warriors 5 on Xbox One?
- From the Xbox home screen, open "My games and apps"
- Select "Games"
- Find Samurai Warriors 5 and select it
- Press "A" to open the installation menu
- Select "Manage installation on Internal"
- If the game is available for download you will be able to checkmark "will install"
- Select "Save changes" and you will be able to see your game downloading
- Make sure that the console is on or in standby mode while the game is being downloaded or you will interrupt the process
How to preload Samurai Warriors 5 on PS4
When the preload becomes available, if you preordered Samurai Warriors 5, it will appear in your library of PlayStation games.
- From the PlayStation home screen, open your library.
- Select "Purchased" games.
- Find Samurai Warriors 5 and select it.
- If the game is available for preload, the "Download" button will be available just below the icon of the game.
- Just push the Download button and that's it, your PlayStation will start pre-loading Samurai Warriors 5.
- Make sure that the console is on or in standby mode while the game is being downloaded or you will interrupt the process.
How to preload Samurai Warriors 5 on Switch?
If Samurai Warriors 5 is amongst select titles that are pre-load enabled, once you redeem a download code on the Nintendo eShop, a non-playable version of the game can be pre-loaded onto your Switch.
- Read more: Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance - Release date & time, how to preload, install file size, system requirements, more
You'll be able to start playing it after downloading a small update, beginning at 12:00 AM ET on the game's release date.
Samurai Warriors 5 release date and time
Samurai Warriors 5 will be released on 24th June in Japan, and on 27th July worldwide for the Switch, PS4, Xbox One, and PC (on Steam).