A few weeks ago, popular Dead by Daylight streamer Otzdarva released a video titled "DBD is becoming really unfun to stream," in which he describes the many run-ins with hackers and cheaters he has while in-game, as well as his feelings about his future with the game.
This started a conversation throughout much of the Dead by Daylight YouTube community, and many responses to Otzdarva's original video were uploaded. Three days later on Sept 22, Behaviour Interactive put out a response of their own. Here's everything you need to know about how Dead by Daylight is addressing hacking going forward.
In Dead by Daylight's final Developer Update of the year, Behaviour Interactive released further information about the steps they have taken and will continue to take to combat cheating in the game.
The list of completed fixes included the following:
- Prevented cheaters from hooking themselves
- Prevented generators from being instantly powered
- Prevented cheaters from starting a match with 2 Killers
- Prevented cheaters from stacking duplicate Perks & Add-ons
- Prevented extended flashlight blind durations
- Reduced maximum length of matches to prevent extraordinarily long matches
- Added countermeasures to force the match to end after the End Game Collapse
- Added countermeasures to prevent player sniping
- Fixed an issue that could allow cheaters to crash the game
Developer say these fixes have been "effective" and have "limited the number of cheaters for the time being." There are additional vulnerabilities, developers say, that will be patched in the following weeks.
Dead By Daylight Ban Update
In addition to the technical updates to prevent cheating, Dead by Daylight has also extended the length of its bans to take even more preventative measures against bad behavior.
The length of bans will now be as follows:
- First strike: 48 hours (was 24 hours)
- Second strike: 1 week (was 48 hours)
- Third strike: 1 month (was 1 week)
- Fourth strike: Permanent (unchanged)
"Toxicity has no place in our game," said Community Manager Mandy in the Developer Update. "We hope these increased durations will both discourage players from spreading toxicity in the first place, as well as give them more time to reflect on their behaviour afterwards. As a reminder, cheating will result in an immediate permanent ban."
Dead By Daylight Addresses Cheater Problem
In an official post on the Dead by Daylight forum, linked on Dead by Daylight's Twitter, Community Manager 'Peanits' describes all of the ways that Dead by Daylight currently addresses cheating:
- Automated Bans: Dead by Daylight works with Easy Anti-Cheat to track and catch known hacks and cheats and automatically bans associated users.
- In-game countermeasures: The game itself is constantly being updated in ways that make it more difficult to cheat, while also lessening the effects of undetected hacks.
- Manual Bans: Using the in-game report system, players can manually report any cheaters they see that have bypassed the anti-cheat software.
Although these measures sound good on paper, Dead by Daylight continues to be a fairly safe environment for hackers. Looking to change that, the DBD devs released their loose timeline and medium-term plan to solve the hacking problem.
What's Next With Anti-Cheat?
Coming up this fall, there are several new anti-cheat measures being put into Dead by Daylight. Peanits describes a series of updates coming that will prevent hackers from forcefully joining the lobbies of streamers and other players, and lessen the maximum amount of time that matches can last after the endgame collapse has ended, as well as in total. They also mention a plan to implement server-side validation.
- Dead By Daylight Reveals New Finishing Mori System
- How To Survive Against Albert Wesker In Dead By Daylight
The post also states that further along into the future, in the first quarter of 2023, there will be several updates to the in-game report system, as well as a long-awaited update that will tell players if cheaters that they have reported have been banned or not.
Along with these updates, Behaviour also promises to give more consistent updates regarding cheaters and anti-cheat measures, and that the changes listed here aren't the end of what Behaviour has in store for hackers.
And that's all. For more Dead by Daylight tips, guides, news, and leaks, be sure to check out our dedicated category!
Featured image courtesy of Behaviour Interactive.
- The Best Artist Builds
- The Best Blight Builds
- The Best Cannibal Builds
- The Best Cenobite Builds
- The Best Chucky Builds
- The Best Clown Builds
- The Best Deathslinger Builds
- The Best Demogorgon Builds
- The Best Doctor Builds
- The Best Dredge Builds
- The Best Executioner Builds
- The Best Ghost Face Builds
- The Best Hag Builds
- The Best Hillbilly Builds
- The Best Huntress Builds
- The Best Knight Builds
- The Best Legion Builds
- The Best Mastermind Builds
- The Best Nemesis Builds
- The Best Nightmare Builds
- The Best Nurse Builds
- The Best Oni Builds
- The Best Onryō Builds
- The Best Pig Builds
- The Best Plague Builds
- The Best Shape Builds
- The Best Singularity Builds
- The Best Skull Merchant Builds
- The Best Spirit Builds
- The Best Trapper Builds
- The Best Trickster Builds
- The Best Twins Builds
- The Best Wraith Builds
- The Best Xenomorph Builds