Hades 2, a sequel to Supergiant Games' extremely popular roguelike game Hades, was announced at The Game Awards 2022. This time around, players will take on the role of the Underworld Princess, Melinoë, in a dungeon-crawling roguelike adventure filled with Witchcraft, gods, and monsters.
If you are as excited about Hades 2 as we are, then we've got you covered. This article provides the latest news and information about Hades 2, from the speculated release date, early access launch, platforms, gameplay features, and more.
Update on 7th June 2023: We've updated this article with the latest 'Hades 2' information, leaks and details.
Will Hades 2 Be At Summer Game Fest?
At this point, it's anybody's guess if Hades 2 will be at Summer Game Fest, but there is precedent for Supergiant Games to show up at these shows. The first Hades title was launched in early access during The Game Awards 2018, another show hosted by Geoff Keighley, so Supergiant clearly has a working relationship with the presenter and creator of Summer Game Fest. If they were looking to show off more of the game, then another Keighley show would be the most likely place to do so, it's just a case of whether it would be here or at The Game Awards later this year.
Hades 2 Release Date Speculation & Early Access Launch
At the time of writing, there is no official confirmed release date for Hades 2, but in this article, you’ll find all (if any) information that the developer shared, as well as some speculation from Ginx on when we could see it launch.
The developers, Supergiant Games, have been working on Hades 2 since "early 2021"
Hades 2 will first launch in an Early Access period on Steam and Epic Games Store before its full release, and the studio says that more details about Early Access are coming in 2023.
So what is the Hades 2 release date? There is currently no official Hades 2 launch date for Early Access or a full release. We just know that the game's Early Access period starts in the broad "2023" release date window.
Why is Hades 2 Doing Early Access First?
Developer Supergiant Games, in a FAQ about Hades 2, explains why they want to launch the game into Early Access first, just like the original:
Early Access means you will be able to purchase and play a work-in-progress version of Hades II, and optionally contribute feedback and gameplay data that's invaluable to our team as we work to fulfill the game's potential. Feedback from our player community through the course of development was foundational to the design and vital to the quality of the original game, so we plan to reprise that type of process with Hades II.
Hades 2 Coming To Consoles? List of Platforms
While the game will only be available on PC via Steam or Epic Games Store at the start of its Early Access period, we are happy to report that it will be available on consoles "eventually." The developers note:
We expect Hades II to eventually be available for both PC and console platforms.
An announcement about the platforms list for Hades 2 will be made in the future. For now, we do know that the developers mentioned "console platforms" as part of their plans.
Hades 2 Gameplay Features Detailed
The Steam page for Hades 2 boasts new features such as "new locations, challenges, upgrade systems, and surprises await as you delve into the ever-shifting Underworld again and again." Hades 2 will bring back some of the characters fans love from the first game but will also introduce a cast of fully voice-acted new faces.
- Battle Beyond the Underworld – As the immortal Princess of the Underworld, you’ll explore a bigger, deeper mythic world, vanquishing the forces of the Titan of Time with the full might of Olympus behind you in a sweeping story that continually unfolds through your every setback and accomplishment.
- Master Witchcraft and Dark Society – Infuse your legendary weapons of Night with ancient magick so that none may stand in your way. Become stronger still with powerful Boons from more than a dozen Olympian gods, from Apollo to Zeus. There are nearly limitless ways to build your abilities.
- Mingle with (More) Gods, Ghosts, and Monsters – Meet a cast of dozens of fully-voiced, larger-than-life characters, including plenty of new faces and some old friends. Grow closer to them through a variety of new interactions, and experience countless unique story events based on how your journey unfolds.
- Every Run is its Own Adventure – New locations, challenges, upgrade systems, and surprises await as you delve into the ever-shifting Underworld again and again. Reveal the mysteries of the Arcana Altar, tame witchy familiars, and gather reagents using Tools of the Unseen to get closer to your goal.
- The Perks of Immortality – Thanks to a variety of permanent upgrades and the return of God Mode, you don’t have to be a god yourself to experience what Hades II has to offer. But if you happen to be one, you can brave escalating challenges for greater rewards and prove just how divine you really are.
- Signature Supergiant Style – Rich, atmospheric presentation and storytelling fused with responsive action is the hallmark of Supergiant’s titles. Vivid new hand-painted environments, even smoother real-time 3D characters, and an electrifying original score make this mythic world burst with life.
It will be exciting to see how Hades 2 expands on the original with its new perspective on Greek mythology. Interestingly, this is the first time ever that developer Supergiant Games have created a sequel!
Will Hades 2 Have a Multiplayer Mode?
Just like the original, Hades 2 is a singleplayer only experience. The developers have confirmed that there are no plans for multiplayer. They are creating the gameplay and narrative for Hades 2 with a "solo experience in mind".
While you wait for Hades 2 to release, you can check out the game's awesome reveal trailer below.
Stay tuned for more information about the upcoming release of Hades 2. We will endeavor to update this article as soon as we get more information about the launch date, platforms, and more.