League of Legends Patch 12.23 is just about here. The game has a lot of events in the upcoming months that players have to look forward to on top of balance changes to look out for. Next up is the 12.23 update which looks like it is one of the biggest League of Legends patches that you will see.
There are a lot of changes to look out for in Patch 12.23 of League of Legends. So much so that whether you are a new player using free champions or a veteran, you should definitely pay attention to this patch. Who knows, maybe your favorite champion might have gotten nerfed or even buffed. Down below are the patch notes directly from Riot, so those who play League of Legends should continue to read on to find out more.
League of Legends 12.23 Patch Highlights
- This update goes out to our ARAM players! From the new stat adjustments introduced in the last patch to falling towers and Frostgates, new and exciting updates are coming to the Howling Abyss this patch.
- A lot of the fun in ARAM happens when you're fighting, poking, or womboing your opponents—not when you're walking back to the fight. To help you get back into the action faster we're introducing Hexgates to the Howling Abyss!
- [NEW] Frostgates: Frostgates will be present from the beginning of the game and will teleport you directly from your Nexus to your outer tower. Once your first tower is destroyed, the Frostgate will then link to your team’s inhibitor tower where it will then stay for the remainder of the game.
- Some parts of the bridge have been showing their age recently and are starting to fall apart. Our goal with falling towers is to create more interesting situations on the map that break away from the usual straight line of ARAM. Now you’ll have new choke points to think about, Fog of War to hide in, and terrain you can experiment with to create new plays!
- [NEW] Tower Rubble: When outer towers are destroyed they will collapse and leave behind a pile of rubble which will be treated as new terrain.
- Alongside the ARAM changes we figured we'd also do some landscaping on the bridge to help freshen things up a bit.
- [NEW] Brushing Up: There is now one new brush in the middle bottom side of the bridge. The brushes between the outer and inhibitor turrets have also increased in size.
- We finally got around to making some repairs on Howling Abyss! With the new falling towers mechanic we wanted to make the bridge a bit more spacious to compensate for the space now taken up by tower rubble.
- [NEW] Under Repair: The gaps on the bottom side of the bridge have been filled in and are now traversable
Battle Boost QoL Updates
- Adding a few quality of life updates to the current Battle Boost feature.
- [NEW] Not so Fast: Players will no longer be able to activate Battle Boosts within the last 10 seconds of champion select
- [NEW] You’re Welcome: Allies will now be able to tell which player gifted their team a Battle Boost
S-Rank Chest Visibility
- Go forth and get S rank on all the champs (or as many as your team's RNG will allow)!
- [NEW] Master them All! Players will now be able to see which champions they have not yet received S-Rank Chests for in ARAM champion select
ARAM Balance Adjustments
- Heartsteel Maximum health gained: 10% of damage dealt > 5% of damage dealt
- Tenacity Buff Duration: 3 seconds > 1.5 seconds
- Tenacity Type: Item (additive with item tenacity) > Champion (multiplicative with item tenacity)
- AoE Splash Damage: 60% AD for melee champions /30% AD for ranged champions > 50% AD for melee champions/25% AD for ranged champions
- [REMOVED] Omnivamp from Stacks: 4% > Removed
- Combine Cost: 1000 > 900
- Total Cost: 2800 > 2700
- Health: 400 > 500
Health Growth: 89 > 100
Q - Bandage Toss
Mana Cost: 30/35/40/45/50 > 40/45/50/55/60
W - Despair
Damage per Second: 12/16/20/24/28 (+1/1.15/1.3/1.45/1.6% of target’s maximum HP) > 12/16/20/24/28 (+1/1.25/1.5/1.75/2% of target’s maximum HP)
E - Tantrum
Base Magic Damage: 85/110/135/160/185 (+ 50% AP) > 80/110/140/170/200 (+ 50% AP)
Passive - Carnivore
Mana Restored on Enemy Kills: 3.5-7.75 (based on level) > 4.7-9.5 (based on level)
W - Feral Scream
Base Damage: 75/125/175/225/275 > 80/135/190/245/300
R - Feast
Cooldown: 80 seconds > 80/70/60 seconds
Base Magic Resist: 32 > 29
Magic Resist Growth: 2.05 > 2.3
Base Attack Speed: 0.72 > 0.67
Attack Damage Growth: 3.5 > 2.5
Passive - Goes Where He Pleases
Cannister Health Loss: 7% of current health > 3% of current health
Cannister Heal: 8% of maximum health > 4% of maximum health
Max Health Regen per 5 seconds: 0.8-1.6% (linear progression) > 0.4-2.5% (non-linear progression, equal at level 11)
Q - Infected Bonesaw
Health Cost: 50 > 60
W - Heart Zapper
Health Cost: 5% of current health > 8% of current health
Gray Health Healed after Not Taking Damage: 0% > 50%
Damage Stored as Gray Health: 25/30/35/40/45% > 80-95% based on level in the first 0.75 seconds, then 25% afterwards
Duration: 4 seconds > 3 seconds
E - Blunt Force Trauma
Passive Bonus AD: 15/20/15/30/35 (+ 25/30/35/40/45 based on missing health) > 2.5/3/3.5/4/4.5% maximum health
Health Cost: 10/20/30/40/50 > 20/30/40/50/60
Cooldown: 8/7.5/7/6.5/6 seconds > 9/8.25/7.5/6.75/6 seconds
Bonus Damage to Monsters: 200% > 150%
R - Maximum Dosage
Missing Health Gained as Maximum Health: 8/11.5/15% > 15/20/25%
[NEW] Mega Mundo Heals: At rank 3, Mundo’s R’s healing effects are increased by an additional 5% per nearby enemy champion
[REMOVED] Mundo Mad: R no longer gives bonus AD
Base Health Regeneration: 8.5 > 9.5
Health Growth: 104 > 108
E - Footwork
[NEW] Auto Attack Reset: E will now partially reset auto attacks in K’Sante’s base form, and will be a full auto attack reset while in his All Out form
Wall Forgiveness: Adjusted E so that if K’Sante is very close to dashing through a wall he will now go through the wall
Q - Null Sphere
Shield Strength: 60/90/120/150/180 (+ 40% AP) > 80/110/140/170/200 (+ 30% AP)
Shield Spawn Speed: Shield is granted when the Q projectile leave’s Kassadin’s hand > Shield is granted when Q is cast
E - Force Pulse
Cooldown: 5 seconds > 21/19/17/15/13 seconds
[REMOVED] Stacks Be Gone: This spell no longer requires a certain number of stacks in order to be cast
[NEW] Send Your Energy: Ally and enemy spells cast near Kassadin reduce E’s cooldown by 1 second
Passive - The Darkin Scythe
Shadow Assassin Bonus Damage: 8-30% (based on level) > 13-40% (based on level)
E - Shadow Step
Heal upon entering Terrain: 90/100/110/120/130 (+35% bonus AD) > 90/100/110/120/130 (+45% bonus AD)
Q - Blooming Blows
Magic Damage: 35/50/65/80/95 (+40% AP) > 40/50/60/70/80 (+40% AP)
Outer Edge True Damage: 35/50/65/80/95 (+40% AP) > 40/50/60/70/80 (+40% AP)
E - Ground Slam
Magic Damage: 60/95/130/165/200 (+60% AP) (+30% Armor) > 70/110/150/190/230 (+60% AP) (+40% Armor)
Mana Cost: 50/55/60/65/70 > 50 at all ranks
Passive - Sap Magic
Heal: 4-34 (based on level) + (4-10% maximum health (based on level)) > 4-34 (based on level) + (4-12% maximum health (based on level))
Q - Bramble Smash
Base Damage: 65/110/155/200/245 (+2/2.25/2.5/2.75/3% of the target’s maximum HP) > 70/120/170/220/270 (+2/2.25/2.5/2.75/3% of the target’s maximum HP)
Bonus Damage to Monsters: 80/100/120/140/160 > 120/140/160/180/200
Passive - Darkness Rise
Damage Cap against Monsters: 180 > 28-164 (based on level)
Passive Proc on Monsters: Generates a stack on all monster hits > Generates a stack on large monster hits
E - Flame Breath
Empowered Basic Attacks vs Marked Enemies: 3.5% of target's maximum HP > 3% of target's maximum HP
Base Mana: 330 > 400
Mana Growth: 42 > 52
Q - Decimating Smash
Base Damage: 30/50/70/90/110 > 40/60/80/100/120
W - Force of Will
Transcendent Upgrade Bonus Damage: 15% (+1.5% per 100 AP) > 12% ( 2% per 100 AP)
E - Scatter the Weak
Cooldown: 15 seconds > 17 seconds
Magic Damage: 75/115/155/195/235 (+55% AP) > 75/115/155/195/235 (+45% AP)
Cooldown: Fixed a bug where upgrading Q could reset its cooldown
Passive - An Acquired Taste
On-Hit and On-Q Bonus Magic Damage: 8-60 (based on level) (+ 3% bonus health) > 8-60 (based on level) (+ 3% bonus health) (+ 2% AP per 100 bonus health)
Q - Tongue Lash
Magic Damage: 80/130/180/230/280 (+ 90% AP) > 80/130/180/230/280 (+ 100% AP)
Self Heal: 10/15/20/25/30 (+ 3/3.5/4/4.5/5% missing Health) > 10/15/20/25/30 (+ 5/5.5/6/6.5/7% missing Health)
W - Abyssal Dive
Magic Damage: 100/135/170/205/240 (+ 125% AP) > 100/135/170/205/240 (+ 150% AP)
E - Thick Skin
Damage Stored to Gray Health: 13/21/29/37/45% > 15/23/31/39/47%
Increased Damage Stored to Gray Health: 40/42.5/45/47.5/50% > 42/44/46/48/50%
R - Devour
Magic Damage: 100/250/400 (+ 15% (+ 5% per 100 AP) of target's maximum health) > 100/250/400 (+ 15% (+ 7% per 100 AP) of target's maximum health)
Shield: Lasts 2.5 seconds after Devour ends > Decays by 50 health per 0.25 seconds after Devour has ended until gone
Base Attack Speed: 0.67 > 0.60
R - Subjugate
Damage Based on Target’s Maximum Health: 20/27.5/35% (+2% per 100 AP) > 20/25/30% (+2% per 100 AP)
Passive - Bop ‘n’ Block
Cooldown: 14-6 seconds (based on level) > 18-6 seconds (based on level)
R - Final Chapter
Root Duration: 1.75 seconds > 1.25 seconds
Passive - Cell Division
Healing per Chunk: 4/4.75/5.5/6.25% (based on R Rank) maximum HP > 4/5/6/7% (based on R Rank) maximum HP
Q - Stretching Strikes
Cooldown: 15/13.5/12/10.5/9 seconds > 14/12.5/11/9.5/8 seconds
Base Damage: 40/55/70/85/100 (+2.5% of Zac's maximum health) > 40/55/70/85/100 (+4% of Zac's maximum health)
Move Speed: 325 > 330
Base Attack Damage: 50 > 53
Base Armor: 20 > 24
Base Health: 600 > 630
Attack Speed Ratio: 0.568 > 0.625
HP Growth: 109 > 115
Passive - Living Battery
Fully Charged Basic Attack Damage: 90-200 (based on level) (+90%AP) (+1-15% (based on level) target maximum HP) > 90-200 (based on level) (+110%AP) (+1-15% target maximum HP)
Gotta Zip Shield Bonus: 10% multiplicative Move Speed > 10% Move Speed (Note: this should make the shield stack less effectively with other move speed sources)
Bonus Move Speed Duration: 3 seconds > 2 seconds
Q - Burst Fire
Range: 825 > 750
Conversion of Excess Attack Speed to Bonus AD: 60% > 70%
Physical Damage: 8/11/14/17/20 (+ 100/105/110/115/120% AD) > 15/18/21/24/27 (+ 104/108/112/116/120% AD)
W - Ultrashock Laser
Damage Type: Magic > Physical
Physical Damage: 20/55/90/125/160 (+100% AD)(+40% AP) > 20/60/100/140/180 (+130% AD) (+25% AP)
Cast Time: 2.5x Attack Time > 0.55-0.3 seconds (based on Attack Speed)
Missile Speed: 2200 > 2500
Beam Cast Time: 0.75 seconds > 0.85 seconds
E - Spark Surge
Mana Cost: 80 > 90/85/80/75/70
Cooldown: 24/22.5/21/19.5/18 seconds > 22/21/20/19/18 seconds
[NEW] Lightning Rounds are Magic: For 5 seconds after using her E, Zeri gains Lightning Rounds and her Q - Burst Fire will deal additional magic damage to the first enemy hit.
[NEW] Bonus Magic Damage to First Target Hit with Lightning Rounds: 20/22/24/26/28 (+20% AP)(+12% bonus AD). . This damage is increased by up to 65% based on Zeri's Critical Strike Chance.
Lightning Rounds Pierce Damage Fall Off after First Target Hit: 60/70/80/90/100% > 80/85/90/95/100%
Vision while Sliding on Terrain: 850 units > 1500 units
R - Lightning Crash
[REMOVED] Short Circuited: Zeri’s Overcharged attacks no longer deal 5/10/15(+15% AP) bonus magic damage on-hit
Chain Lightning Range: 450 > 650
On-Cast Magic Damage: 150/250/350 (+80% AP)(+80% bonus AD) > 175/275/375 (+110% AP)(+100% bonus AD)
Kerchow: If Zeri’s R hits at least one enemy champion, Zeri gains 10% move speed, 30% attack speed, and chaining shots for 5 seconds. Hitting champions with Q or auto attacks refreshes this buff by 1.5 seconds. (Note: this buff cannot be extended to be longer than its original duration.)
Boundless Energy: Hitting enemy champions grants Zeri 1 stack (3 stacks for critical strikes) of Overcharge for 1.5 seconds. Zeri gains 0.5% move speed for each stack of Overcharge, stacking infinitely.
We’re introducing a few adjustments to help jungle companions scale better with tanks, while reducing the amount of gold they give to their owners, as junglers were often significantly ahead in gold compared to laners.
Companion Attack Damage: 20 (+ 15% AD) (+ 10% AP) (+ 4% bonus health) > 16 (+ 15% AD) (+ 10% AP) (+ 3% bonus health) (+ 10% bonus Armor) (+ 10% bonus Magic Resist)
[NEW] Bigger Companions need More Treats: After their first evolution, jungle companions will consume 2 bonus treats on Large Monster kills and receive the associated benefits
Bonus Treat Gold: 50 gold > 35 gold
[REMOVED] Epic Monsters are Spooky: The 20% bonus damage provided by companions no longer works on Epic Monsters
Making a few follow-up changes to the Preseason jungle adjustments introduced in the last patch.
Gromp Attack Range: 175 > 150
Crimson Raptor Attack Range: 300 > 200
Leashing Range: Leash range centers have been offset from Camp spawn location giving more space for champions to move and kite
Jungle Camp Experience Given Multiplier: 1/1/1.025/1.075/1.15/1.15/1.25/1.25/1.35 (levels 1-9) > 1/1/1.025/1.075/1.2/1.2/1.3/1.3/1.45 (levels 1-9)
Most of the communication tools that we’ve had in the past cater towards conveying personal intent, the ability to describe what you and you alone plan on doing. We introduced Objective Planning as a way for people to build alignment across the team as a whole.
So far, we've seen that Objective Planning is allowing players to better align around whether or not to take an objective as a team. However, there are some situations in which the vote is showing up too frequently or at irrelevant moments. When it comes to objective planning, we want to make sure that we’re showing relevant information to players that can help them make better decisions at the right time. We want players to be able to communicate their intent clearly, whether it's being ready and prioritizing for objectives or actually using the tool for alignment.
For now, we’re making some changes to have the voting system better match players' intent and will continue to improve this system as we learn more about how all of you are using it!
Scoreboard Voting Disabled: Clicking on the objective timer will no longer initiate objective votes and will instead just display the timer information in chat
Vote Timing: Adjusted the earliest time players can start voting for an objective from 90 seconds before an objective spawns to 75 seconds
Auto Vote Disabled: The vote to contest an objective will no longer automatically begin 30 seconds before an objective spawns
As a special thank you to ARAM players everywhere, we’re going to be hosting our last Clash of the year on Howling Abyss. This Clash will be free-to-enter and feature an 8-team bracket where each team gets to play 3 matches. Each player will receive 2 rerolls per game, so make sure you use them all!
Registration for this special, for-fun Clash will begin on December 5 and the tournament days will be on December 10 and 11, 2022.
Players that participate will receive a limited-time, exclusive ARAM clash icon, so make sure to mark your calendars.
On a non-ARAM related note, Clash rewards for this year will roll out during patch 12.23, so keep an eye out!
End of Year Mythic Shop Rotation
In this Mythic Shop rotation, we’ll have two Unvaulted Prestige skins, two Unvaulted Mythic skins, and a new Seasonal Mythic skin (with accessories). Similar to our End of Year Prestige Point shop, the Mythic Essence icons are returning alongside a couple of previously offered Grab bags.
- Prestige Arcade Caitlyn
- Prestige PROJECT Sylas
- Hextech Rammus
- Hextech Kassadin
- Ashen Graveknight Mordekaiser
- Ashen Graveknight Mordekaiser Mythic Chroma + Icon (Emberwoken)
- Ashen Graveknight Mordekaiser Emote
- Anima Squad 2022 Grab Bag
- Star Guardian 2022 Grab Bag
- Anima Squad 2022 Mythic Essence Icon
- Star Guardian 2022 Mythic Essence Icon
- MSI High Noon 2022 Mythic Essence Icon
- Steel Valkyrie 2022 Mythic Essence Icon
- Worlds 2022 Mythic Essence Icon
- Eclipse Knights 2022 Mythic Essence Icon
- Ocean Song 2022 Mythic Essence Icon
Leaving the Mythic Shop
- Prestige Star Guardian Neeko
- Prestige Conqueror Jax
We want it to be easy to get to the fun of League without having to do a ton of research beforehand. So like we added item recommendations to the shop, we’re also adding a rune recommender in champion select! You can access it by hovering or locking in a champion and clicking the new icon next to the edit rune page button. We have a few more planned additions for this feature and will be keeping an eye on your feedback to improve it over the next few patches!
Added the Rune Recommender to champion select for all game modes. These recommendations are tailored for your champion, position, and come with optional summoner spell recommendations as well. Like in-game item recommendations, these will be updated each patch.
All players have a free temporary rune page that the recommender will overwrite in each champion select. To permanently save a recommendation to your collection, you can add it in the post match screen.
The 5 preset rune pages have been removed.
Pick Order Swapping
Draft strategy is an important part of the game in queues that support drafting, so we want to make it easy for your team to optimize its draft for success. Currently there are a lot of opportunities for things to go wrong for players trying to swap their pick order — you have to communicate in chat with the person you want to swap with, have the champion that the other player wants, and then successfully trade champions before the game starts, all while preparing your rune and summoner loadouts. We’ll be streamlining this process by letting you swap pick order with the press of a button!
In matchmade queues with drafting, during the declaration, ban, and pick phases, you can now press a button next to ally portraits to swap pick order with them. When there is 5 seconds left in a phase, in-progress order swap requests will be canceled. If your order swap request is declined, you cannot initiate another request with that player.
Champion swapping during the preparation phase is now initiated by clicking on the allied champion’s portrait instead of a button next to the portrait.
Miscellaneous champion select font and text changes for consistency.
Champ Select Anonymity
We’ve heard feedback that with the only difference between ally’s names in champion select being the numbers 1 through 5, it can be difficult to tell who’s speaking, particularly when a lot of people are talking at the same time. So now you all get code names!
Ally 1 -> Ally 5 have been renamed to Gromp, Murk Wolf, Raptor, Krug, and Scuttle Crab for improved clarity around who is speaking in champion select chat.
End of Season Honor rewards including the new Honor level 5 Malzahar skin reward will be granted according to your Honor level at the End of Season.
The ARAM AFK threshold has been changed to 120 seconds from 90 seconds.
Bugfixes & QoL Changes
Champ Select Favoriting Improvements
Improving usability around favoriting champions so that you can find them faster in champion select. As a reminder, you can right click champions in champion select to favorite them for a specific role!
In champion select, "Sort by Favorites" is the default sorting option. Note: The fallback option is "Sort by Name" so a player who does not have any favorites selected will still have the same experience.
A player's selection for "Sort by" preference is saved between champion selects.
- Ping sizes have been slightly reduced
- Improved clarity of the “push” ping VFX
- Polished the ping ripple VFX and visual fidelity of the icons
- Updated Death’s Dance so that its bleed will no longer interrupt recalls
- Empyrean Pyke's R - Death from Below distortion visual effects will now be disabled when Eye Candy is turned off in the game options
- Fixed a bug where some champion’s icons would briefly flicker on the minimap at their last known location when they exit the Fog of War elsewhere
- Fixed a bug where Gnar’s Q would veer off in an unexpected direction if a movement command was issued right when the boomerang was about to return
- Fixed a bug that caused Singed and Cassiopeia’s on-hit VFX to not be visible
- Fixed a bug where Yasuo’s Windwall would not correctly block Syndra’s spheres if they were pushed by her E
- Fixed a bug where Sion's R would not proc Radiant Virtue if he used his R during his passive
- Fixed a bug that allowed Ivern to Smite jungle monsters not marked by his passive. Camps are friends.
- Fixed a bug where Karma could extend the cast time of her R by casting W or E on champions very far away from her
- Fixed a bug where Skarner’s W would reset an in-progress basic attack
- Fixed a bug that would disable Viego’s W if he ended possession of K’Sante while casting K’Sante’s W
- Fixed a bug that was causing Samira’s E+Q combo to be counted as one spell for effect like Conqueror or Electrocute
- Fixed a bug where Sylas’ could cast his R to steal Tahm Kench’s ultimate faster than he could use it to steal other champion’s ultimate abilities
- Fixed a bug where K’Sante could cast R - All Out and move Mordekaiser outside of his Death Realm
- Fixed a bug where Caitlyn would not attack enemies that taunted her if she was taunted while casting her R
- Fixed a bug where undoing selling Ravenous Hydra would cause the item to lose all acquired stacks
- Fixed a bug that caused Ravenous Hydra to stop functioning correctly ~40 minutes after purchasing the item
- Fixed a bug where Jak’Sho’s percent Armor and MR increase would not correctly calculate with other Armor and MR increases
- Fixed a bug where Jak’Sho the Protean would generate stacks of Voidborn Resilience after a champion’s death
- Fixed a bug where Xayah’s W feathers were not receiving Navori Quickblade’s Impermanence’s bonus damage
- Fixed a bug where Tahm Kench could re-proc Radiant Virtue after using his R
- Fixed a bug that caused Pyke’s R to proc Radiant Virtue, but not heal himself or allies
- Fixed a bug that would cause the bonus HP from Radiant Virtue to not be converted into AD with Pyke’s passive
- Fixed a bug that was caused Taliyah’s and Anivia’s ultimates to not proc Radiant Virtue
- Fixed a bug where jungle companions would separate from their champions to path around walls
- Fixed a bug where non-champion primary targets would not be crippled by Iceborn Gauntlet’s effect
- Fixed a bug where Rek’Sai’s R would not procRadiant Virtue’s passive
- Fixed a bug where enemies could tell which Shaco was the clone due to Radiant Virtue’s VFX
- Fixed a bug that was causing Guinsoo’s Rageblade’s On-Hit damage to be counted as magic damage
- Fixed a bug that causes K’Sante’s bonus Armor and MR from sources like Hullbreaker to not reduce his Q cooldown
- Fixed a bug that cause K’Sante to temporarily lose Hullbreaker’s bonus stats while casting his R
- Fixed a bug that caused jungle camps to not properly aggro summoned units like Shaco’s boxes or Elise’s spiderlings
- Fixed a bug that was caused Draven’s VO’s to not play correctly when catching his axes with Q
- Fixed a bug that caused the practice tool drake soul to be infernal 100% of the time
- Fixed a bug that caused the VO lines announcing tower plating will soon fall to not play
- Fixed a bug that was causing some of Neeko’s VO lines to not play
- Fixed a bug that caused Program Camille’s VOs to play globally for allies and enemies if she was outside of the Fog of War
- Fixed a bug that caused Clash capsules, orbs, banners, and trophies to not be awarded correctly
Upcoming Skins & Chromas
The following skins will be released in this patch:
- Winterblessed Diana
- Winterblessed Shaco
- Winterblessed Swain
- Winterblessed Warwick
- Winterblessed Zilean
- Winterblessed Zoe
- Ashen Graveknight Mordekaiser
- Prestige Winterblessed Warwick
The following chromas will be released this patch:
- Winterblessed Diana
- Winterblessed Shaco
- Winterblessed Swain
- Winterblessed Warwick
- Winterblessed Zilean
- Winterblessed Zoe
- Ashen Graveknight Mordekaiser