While the game feels different on PC, the crossplay functionalities will make a distinction between mouse and keyboard elitists and console players, as the game will naturally place Xbox, PlayStation, and Switch users in a pool, and will only match them with PC users if they're in a group with one already.
Having said this, it is an exciting time for Overwatch fans, as this addition is no doubt a step in the right direction to keep the community alive until the release of Overwatch 2.
Let's take a look at how you can participate in the Overwatch crossplay beta and everything you need to do to make sure you're set when the feature officially launches later down the line.
Overwatch crossplay beta - When does it start?
According to an official statement by Blizzard, the crossplay beta will be enabled at some point before the end of Season 28 (the ongoing season).
The goal is to have the functionality fully live by the time Season 29 rolls around, which will most likely start during the first two weeks of July.
Overwatch crossplay beta - How to enable
Console players who have yet to create and link their accounts to Battle.net will need to do the following steps first:
- Visit Battle.net
- Create a free Battle.net account
- Once you create your Battle.net account, go to your Account Settings
- Click on the “Connections” section under Account Settings and link your console
Now, on the in-game menus, do the following:
- Launch the game on your system
- Press the confirmation button to progress through the Overwatch welcome screen
- You will be presented with an alpha-numeric code and a QR code
- The alpha-numeric code can be entered at blizzard.com/link
- The QR code may be scanned with a mobile app to take you to the linking webpage, which will be pre-populated with the code provided in-game
- Log in with your Battle.net account credentials to finalize the connection between your console game and Battle.net accounts
- You will receive a message in-game that notifies that your account is now successfully connected
You're all set! PC players will have automatic access to the feature once it's enabled.