Pokémon GO just started the Hisuian Discoveries event this week, and on top of some new debuts, the Hisui Cup was added to the GO Battle League. Up until now, this week was marked as a mystery on the blog posts from Niantic, and now we know exactly what the new Cup entails.
While the Hisui Cup has a very specific name in mind, the event won't be limited to those specific Pokémon. With the latest discoveries event, there are only about seven Hisuian forms in the game, including evolutions. However, Niantic has found a way to incorporate the theme of the Hisuian region while maintaining a sizable roster for the Pokémon GO Battle League.
Pokémon GO Hisui Cup - Rules and Restrictions
Before jumping into the Hisui Cup for the Pokémon GO Battle League, you'll need to know the rules for the limited-time event. There will only be about a week to participate as the Hisuian Discoveries event comes to a close on August 2. This specific cup will also disappear at the time and bring the Element Cup back into the fold.
Within the next week, you'll have to follow some fairly strict rules for what Pokémon can be chosen. Nearly all Pokémon from the Sinnoh Region can be used in the Hisui Cup. This is because Pokémon Legends: Arceus takes place in the Sinnoh Region. All Pokémon from Pokédex entries #387-#493 can be chosen.
- How To Get Buzzwole In Pokémon GO – Special Research, Location, And More
- Pokémon Unite Tier List July 2022 – All Pokémon Ranked
Take into account the new Hisuian forms of the Sinnoh Region Pokémon and that's the pool of options you have in the GO Battle League Cup. On top of those choices though, you'll still have to follow the 1,500 CP restriction. That places the Cup in the Great League which is always the most open and competitive.
One additional perk to the Cup is the lack of tracking on ratings or scores. This is a surprise event Cup that is meant for fun without any of the stress of building teams that don't work. But if you do want an effective team, we have you covered.
Pokémon GO Hisui Cup - Best Picks and Moves
There are two types that seem to be pretty dominant in the Hisui Cup right now. Those are Electric-types and Fighting-types. Aside from those, the other picks are fairly diverse. Below you will find eight of the most effective options and their optimal moveset for the GO Battle League.
- Lucario - Counter (Fast) and Power-Up Punch / Shadow Ball (Charged)
- Sneasler - Shadow Claw (Fast) and Close Combat / X-Scissor (Charged)
- Hisuian Electrode - Thunder Shock (Fast) and Wild Charge / Energy Ball (Charged)
- Abomasnow - Powder Snow (Fast) and Ice Weather Ball / Energy Ball
- Bastiodon - Smack Down (Fast) and Stone Edge / Flamethrower (Charged)
- Pachirisu - Volt Switch (Fast) and Thunder Punch / Thunderbolt (Charged)
- Gastrodon - Mud Slap (Fast) and Body Slam / Earth Power (Charged)
- Cresselia - Psycho Cut (Fast) and Grass Knot / Moonblast (Charged)
All of these Pokémon are great options for the Hisui Cup in Pokémon GO, but you should also take into account your team comp. Which option leads the battle and the other two switches that follow can make a massive impact. You want a shield burner with good typing to lead the charge and something like Abomasnow to close out the battle. With any luck, your team will outpace the other Trainers in the new Cup.
And that's all. For more awesome content, check out our section dedicated to Pokémon GO news, guides, updates, and more!
Featured image courtesy of Niantic.