Developers recently hinted that Dead by Daylight's June 2022 update would be one of the game's biggest updates of all time. With changes to meta perks and non-meta perks, a prestige system overhaul, and edits to basic gameplay mechanics, there's certainly a lot on hand.
Here's everything fans can expect from Dead by Daylight's June 2022 developer update. It's one of the densest - but most impactful and interesting - updates ever, so "Buckle Up" and read on.
Progression System Overhaul
Behaviour Interactive plans to reduce the grind by 75% through a new progression system overhaul. According to their patch notes, "this is the largest reduction to grind [Behaviour] has ever made."
- Dead by Daylight 6th anniversary information leaked
- Dead by Daylight board game announced
- Dead by Daylight Twisted Masquerade - Bonuses, Offerings, Cosmetics, More
- Dead by Daylight Twisted Masquerade - How to Get All Masks
The following changes will help reduce the Bloodpoint and perk grind.
There will no longer be teachable perk rarity for any character. Perks are instead tied to prestige level for each character. By prestiging a character to level 1, every character will receive all of their Tier 1 perks. This goes on up to tier 3.
Prestige is receiving a makeover, making it easier and no longer optional to prestige characters as you level them up. This is great news for the grind, though, as unlocked perks, items, offerings, and perk slots will remain after prestiging your characters.
The maximum prestige level has been increased to 100.
Since Behaviour announced updates to prestige, many players have been wondering if they would remove the bloody prestige cosmetics. The answer, thankfully, is no; players can still receive the bloody prestige cosmetics at prestige levels 4, 5, and 6, and those who already own the prestige cosmetics will not lose them after the update.
Not only are the bloody prestige cosmetics sticking around, Behaviour is adding a new reward for prestiging your characters up to level 7, 8, and 9; at these levels, you'll receive a charm representing one of that character's perks.
Many players will note that Behaviour recently removed the ability to see other players' grades after a match. After the update, this currently empty space will be occupied by the players' prestige levels.
Shrine of Secrets
The Shrine of Secrets will work completely differently than before. Now, when players purchase a perk from The Shrine of Secrets, all killers will immediately receive that perk in their Bloodweb. Additionally, players can purchase higher levels of perks they already own in the Shrine for a discounted price.
Transition to The New Prestige System
Upon the update, Behaviour Interactive says that they will automatically award existing players an appropriate number of prestige levels based on how many perk tiers they’ve unlocked. In other words, players who haven't prestige their characters will still receive rewards for the time they've invested.
Those who have reached prestige 3 will receive a unique ring around their post-game prestige graphic.
Behaviour Interactive will host a live stream and Q&A session soon to show the updated system and how it works.
Sometimes, a higher ratio of killers are online compared to survivors; other times, it's the other way around. To fix this, Behaviour Interactive is implementing matchmaking incentives, a way for players to receive more Bloodpoints and reduce queue times. Depending on the need at the time, bonuses will range from 25% to 100%.
Players with cross-play turned off will not be eligible for matchmaking incentives.
To complement the perk updates in the game, Behaviour has brought in a number of gameplay updates. These gameplay updates will change the way the game is fundamentally played in some ways, and, Behaviour says, help make the game more fun.
Survivor: Generator Speed
- Generators previously took 80 seconds. After the update, each generator will take 90 seconds.
- Additionally, killers will receive a small buff to their ability to prevent generator progress. Kicking a generator will now remove 2.5% of its progress, helping the killer effectively damage the generator rather than making it a waste of time if survivors are nearby.
Killer: Gameplay Improvements
- The time to break walls and pallets has been decreased by 10% (from 2.6s to 2.34s).
- The time to kick generators is also 10% faster than before (from 2s to 1.8s).
- The successful basic attack cooldown is also 10% reduced (from 3s to 2.7s), and the post-hit survivor speed boost has been reduced (from 2s to 1.8s).
- Finally, Bloodlust will activate more quickly, after 15/25/35 seconds of chasing rather than 15/30/45 seconds.
Camping & Tunneling
- A slightly nerfed version of Borrowed Time has now become base kit in order to prevent killers from tunneling survivors off of the hook.
- Now, all Survivors will receive a 5 second Endurance effect after being unhooked.
- The unhooked Survivor will receive a 7% Haste effect for 5 seconds.
These effects will be canceled, though, if the survivor engages in aConspicuous Action. Conspicious Actions are a brand new gameplay mechanic that work with a variety of perks.
These are interactions that would improve your chances of survival. This includes:
- Repairing a generator
- Healing yourself or others
- Cleansing or Blessing a Totem
- Sabotaging a hook
- Unhooking others
- Opening an exit gate
Meta Perk Changes
From the ever-popular Barbecue and Chili and Dead Hard to the less-used Off the Record, 39 different Dead by Daylight perks are receiving updates to their core design.
Below are the patch notes from Behaviour, describing the proposed changes to each meta and non-meta perk for both killer and survivor that will be either buffed or nerfed.
Killer Meta Perks
- Barbecue and Chilli
- Current effect: Upon hooking a Survivor, see the auras of distant Survivors for a short duration. Gain a stacking Bloodpoint bonus for each unique Survivor hooked.
- New effect: The Bloodpoint bonus has been removed.
- Hex: Ruin
- Current effect: Generators regress automatically at an increased rate whenever a Survivor is not working on them as long as the associated Hex totem is standing.
- New effect: The regression speed has been reduced to 50/75/100% from 100/150/200%. This perk will deactivate when one survivor is killed.
- Pop Goes the Weasel
- Current effect: After hooking a Survivor, the next generator you kick within the time limit instantly loses 25% of its total progress.
- New effect: Pop Goes the Weasel now remove 20% of the generator’s current (not total) progress.
- Corrupt Intervention
- Current effect: At the start of the match, the three furthest generators are blocked for a while.
- New effect: Corrupt Intervention will now deactivate once a Survivor enters the dying state. All other effects remain the same.
- Current effect: When a generator reached 70% progress, the killer receives a loud noise notification and becomes Undetectable for a short duration.
- New effect: Tinkerer can now only activate once per generator.
- Hex: No One Escapes Death (Or NOED)
- Current effect: When the exit gates are powered, all Survivors become exposed as long as the associated Hex totem is standing.
- New effect: Survivors will now see the Hex Totem’s aura within 4 meters upon activation. This range increases to 24m over the course of 30 seconds.
- Scourge Hook: Pain Resonance
- Current effect: Upon hooking a Survivor on a Scourge Hook, the generator with the most progress explodes, notifying the Killer and instantly loses a large chunk of progress.
- New effect: The loud noise notification and generator explosion have been removed and replaced with the generator sparking. Survivors will also no longer scream.
Survivor Meta Perks
- Dead Hard
- Current effect: When activated, become immune to damage and dash a short distance.
- New effect: Dead Hard will provide the Endurance effect for 1 second when activated. If you time it right, you’ll gain a movement speed boost.
- Decisive Strike
- Current effect: After being unhooked, Decisive Strike activates for a long duration. When picked up, hit a special skill check to instantly wiggle free. Deactivates when used or when performing various actions.
- New effect: Decisive Strike will now deactivate once the Exit Gates are powered. The stun duration has been reduced from 5 seconds to 3 seconds. Decisive Strike will now be canceled by all Conspicuous Actions.
- Borrowed Time
- Current effect: Survivors you unhook gain the Endurance effect for a short duration, allowing them to ignore a hit that would otherwise put them in the dying state.
- New effect: An edited version of Borrowed Time has become basekit. Now, Borrowed Time will extend the duration of the Endurance effect of unhooked Survivors by 6/8/10 seconds and increase the movement speed bonus duration by 10 seconds for any Survivor you unhook. These effects will be cancelled if the unhooked Survivor performs a Conspicuous Action.
- Iron Will
- Current effect: Makes your grunts of pain silent.
- New effect: The grunts of pain reduction has been lowered to 25/50/75%. Iron Will is no longer active when Exhausted – though it will not cause Exhaustion itself.
Current effect: Unlocks the ability to heal yourself without a Med-Kit at 50% speed.
- New effect: Self-Care's heal speed will be lowered to 25/30/35%, and the item efficiency bonus has been removed entirely.
- Spine Chill
- Current effect: Activates when the Killer is nearby and looking in your direction, increasing action speeds and the chance for skill checks.
- New effect: Spine Chill will now only activate if the Killer has a clear line of sight to the Survivor. Spine Chill will now have a short (0.5 seconds) lingering effect to perk icon from flickering when the Killer looks around. The vault speed bonus has been entirely removed.
Non-Meta Perk Changes
25 non-meta perks will also receive changes to their numerical values or core design.
Killer Perk Buffs
- Along with its current effects, Overcharge will cause a kicked generator’s regression speed to grow from 100% to 400% over the course of 30 seconds.
- The generator regression penalty has been upped to 10% and the duration of the incapacitated effect has been upped to 15/20/25 seconds.
- Knock Out
- In addition to its current effect, Knock Out will cause dying Survivors to crawl 50% slower for 15 seconds and reduce their recovery speed by 25%.
- Coulrophobia will now increase the speed of skill checks by 50% on top of its current effect.
- Dark Devotion
- Dark Devotion will now activate whenever the Obsession loses a health state.
- The cooldown has been removed.
- Lethal Pursuer
- On top of the existing effect, Lethal Pursuer will now extend the duration of all aura reading effects by 2 seconds.
- Scourge Hook: Gift of Pain
- The action speed penalty has been increased to 10/13/16%.
- Behaviour is increasing the action speed penalty to 4.5/5/5.5% per Survivor, for a maximum of 18/20/22%.
- Scourge Hook: Monstrous Shrine
- Scourge Hook: Monstrous Shrine, called Monstrous Shrine previously, will now convert all basement hooks to Scourge Hooks. Additionally, Scourge Hooks will now grant 10/15/20% faster Entity progression – but only if the killer is further than 24 meters away.
Survivor Perk Buffs
- Calm Spirit
- In addition to Calm Spirit’s current effects, you can now open chests and cleanse and bless totems silently at 40/35/30% reduced speed.
- Saboteur can now identify Scourge Hooks. Their auras are shown in yellow when a Survivor is being carried.
- Botany Knowledge
- Botany Knowledge now increases healing speed by 30/40/50%, up from 11/22/33%.
- Off the Record
- Upon being unhooked, gain the Endurance status effect for 60/70/80 seconds. The Endurance effect is lost upon performing a Conspicuous Action.
- Lucky Break
- Lucky Break can now be recharged. Each second spent healing another Survivor increases Lucky Break’s duration by 1 second. The total time cannot exceed the starting duration.)
- Pharmacy used to guarantee an Emergency Med-Kit the first time you searched a chest. Now, Pharmacy will activate whenever you’re injured, guaranteeing an Emergency Med-Kit when you search a chest. This effect can happen multiple times in one trial.
- Sole Survivor
- In addition to hiding your aura, Sole Survivor will now increase your generator repair speed by 75% and your exit gate and hatch action speed by 50%. These effects are only active when you are the last Survivor standing.
- Now, you can regain Distortion tokens. Gain 1 token for every 30 seconds spent within the Killer’s Terror Radius.
- In addition to Lightweight’s existing effects, your scratch marks will be more sporadic, making you harder to track. Your scratch marks will also fade 5/4/3 seconds sooner, up from 1/2/3.
- Déjà Vu
- To help Survivors power the three closest generators, Déjà Vu will now grant a 5% repair speed bonus to the revealed generators.
- No One Left Behind
- Beyond its current effects, No One Left Behind will grant a 7% movement speed bonus to any Survivors you unhook. Additionally, the perk now activates when the gates are powered rather than opened.
- Dark Sense
- Dark Sense has been changed. When a generator is powered, Dark Sense activates. The next time the Killer comes within 24m of you, their aura is revealed for 5/7/10 seconds. Dark Sense then deactivates.
- In addition to the current effects, Tenacity now reduces your grunts of pain by 75% when in the dying state.
- The duration has been removed entirely.
- In its current state, cleansing a totem grants you a repair speed bonus of 6%/7%/8%. Now, that bonus doubles if you cleanse a Hex totem.
- We’re Gonna Live Forever
- The Bloodpoint bonus has been removed from We're Gonna Live Forever.
- Actions that previously granted a token will now activate the perk's secondary effect. While active, healing a Survivor from the dying state grants them the Endurance effect for 6/8/10 seconds. The secondary effect of We're Gonna Live Forever then deactivates.
Yes, this update is a big one, and it's sure to completely switch up the Dead by Daylight meta and change the game for years to come. Time will tell if these massive updates will be good for the overall health of the game, but for now, it's looking very promising.
And that's all. For more Dead by Daylight news, guides, tips, and leaks be sure to check out our dedicated category.
Featured image courtesy of Behaviour Interactive.
DBD Guides - Dead By Daylight Killers Tier List | Best Dead By Daylight Survivor Builds | Dead By Daylight Codes | Shrine of Secrets Perks This Week | Best Dead By Daylight Survivor Perks| Best Dead By Daylight Killer Perks | When Is Dead By Daylight Rank Reset | How To Get Bloodpoints Fast | How To Get Bloody Clothes | Does Dead By Daylight Have Bots | Dead By Daylight Roadmap | Dead By Daylight CrossProgression Explained | How To Track Dead By Daylight Stats
DBD Best Builds – The Artist | The Blight | The Cannibal | The Cenobite | The Clown | The Deathslinger | The Demogorgon | The Doctor | The Dredge | The Executioner | The Ghost Face | The Hag | The Hillbilly | The Huntress | The Legion | The Mastermind | The Nemesis | The Nightmare | The Nurse | The Oni | The Onryō | The Pig | The Plague | The Shape| The Spirit| The Trapper| The Trickster| The Twins | The Wraith
Featured image courtesy of Behaviour Interactive.