On 25th June 2022, Valve announced that entries to the Dota 2 Short Film Contest were finally open. The annual video competition allows talented content creators to exercise their creativity and make their names known throughout the Dota community.
The top-voted entries will be featured at The International 2022 tournament in Singapore in October and awarded lucrative cash prizes. Here's everything you need to know to submit your entry to the Dota 2 Short Film Contest 2022, including the submission deadlines, review and selection process, and all prizes.
How to enter Dota 2 Short Film Contest 2022
Valve announced that submissions for the Dota 2 Short Film Contest 2022 are now open until 4th September 2022 at 3 pm PST | 6 pm EST | 11 pm BST. Content creators can submit their 90-second short films to the Dota 2 Steam Workshop to be eligible for consideration.
- DOTA Dragon's Blood Season 3 - Release Date, Episode List, How to Watch
- Dota Plus Summer 2022 - Battle Report, Immortal Spell Effects, and more
- Dota 2 7.31d Patch Notes - All balance changes to heroes and items
- Dota 2 PGL Arlington Major 2022 - How to watch, schedule, format, teams, and more
Once Valve has vetted the submissions, they will be featured on the Workshop, where Dota 2 fans worldwide will be invited to vote for their favorite films. Valve will then nominate the best entries based on community ratings and discussion to be featured within the Dota 2 game client for a final voting process.
Dota 2 Short Film Contest 2022 Prizes
Similarly to previous Dota 2 Short Film Contests, all finalists placing in the top ten submissions globally will win a $500 cash prize. However, the top three entries will score cash prizes of $25,000, $10,000, and $5,000 in recognition of their contributions to the Dota community, respectively.
In addition to earning cash prizes, creators with the best entries will have their short films showcased as part of The International 2022 broadcast - a true honor for any avid Dota enthusiast.
We've included the top three submissions from last year's Dota 2 Short Film Contest for an idea of the competition.
1st Place Winner - Carried Away
2nd Place Winner - Haul of the Hoof
3rd Place Winner - Blood & Fire
Dota 2 Short Film Contest 2022 Submission Guidelines
Here are the official submission guidelines from Valve:
- Entries must be a maximum of 90 seconds in duration and must pertain to Dota 2.
- Each entry must be at least 1080p.
- Entries can use any form or combination of animation or live-action techniques in their creation. Using Source Filmmaker is not a requirement.
- The deadline for submission will be Sunday, 4th September 2022, at 3 pm PST. The submission process must be completed, including uploading the video and filling out submission dialogs, before the submission period ends.
- Submissions will be reviewed by the Steam community on the Steam Workshop. The top entries will be selected by Valve in its sole discretion to be featured in-game for a final vote by the community, and the winners will be announced at The International 2022.
- Submissions must be submitted to the Steam Workshop under the 'Dota 2 - Short Film 2022' game. DO NOT submit the videos under 'Dota 2'.
- The video must be a new creation made specifically for the Dota 2 Film Contest.
- You are free to use any Valve IP.
- If you use any non-Valve IP, you must be the copyright owner or have explicit permission from the owner. You will be required to warrant to Valve that you have all necessary rights and licenses for the entry to be considered. Any submissions found to be infringing non-Valve IP will be disqualified. Note that for Workshop items, you still need to provide a link to the items used, except you do not need explicit permission from the creator since submission to the Workshop automatically grants permission to use the item.
- Multiple submissions per person are allowed.
- Submissions must be free of advertisements.
And that's it. For more on the game, head to our section dedicated to the latest Dota 2 news, guides, tips, and more.
Feature image courtesy of Valve.