The Darkmoon expansion for Hearthstone Battlegrounds is here, and it is one of the largest updates so far.
Not only that it will introduce three new heroes into the mode, but it also comes with a completely new mechanic - Darkmoon Prizes.
On top of that, Patch 19.2 will add 10 new minions to Battlegrounds, all themed around the Old Gods and Darkmoon Faire.
There are also some minor balance changes for existing heroes, while some heroes and minions will be temporarily removed from Battlegrounds.
So, let’s see all the new stuff that will come with Battlegrounds 19.2 update.
New Old Gods Heroes
That's right, legendary Old Gods are heading to Battlegrounds to spread chaos and confusion.
Three Old Gods will be joining Battlegrounds as new heroes: C’Thun, N’Zoth, and Y’Shaar, each with a unique and seemingly powerful Hero Power.
- Saturday C’Thuns! [Costs 2]
- At end of turn, give a friendly minion +1/+1. Repeat 0 times. (Upgrades after each use)
- Avatar of N’Zoth [Passive]
- Start the game with a 1/1 Fish that gains all your Deathrattles in combat.
- Embrace your Rage [Costs 2]
- Start of Combat: Add a minion from your Tavern Tier to your Warband. Keep it.
Battlegrounds 19.2 Hero Pool updates and changes
Besides new heroes, this update will also come with several changes to the Hero Pool.
Galakrond will be temporarily removed from the Battlegrounds Hero Pool, while Sir Finley Mrrgglton and The Great Akazamzarak are coming back.
Additionally, Competitive Spirit has been added to The Great Akazamzarak’s Secret pool.
Zephrys's Hero Power is buffed and now costs 3 instead of 4 mana, which we think will significantly help Zephyrs to climb on the tier list of heroes.
Patches the Pirate's Hero Power "Pirate Parrrty!" has been buffed as well, with the same cost-reduction, from 4 down to 3 mana.
What is Darkmoon Prizes - Battlegrounds Spells?
With the 19.2 patch, Battlegrounds will get one of the first big new mechanic introduced to this mode - Darkmoon Prizes.
This is a limited-time mechanic, which means that it probably won't stay in the game forever, but hopefully, Blizzard and players will find it interesting and maybe it will stay permanently.
How does it work?
On turns 1,4,8,12, players will get to discover increasingly more powerful Darkmoon Prizes, which will be added to your hand and you can play them whenever you want.
What's really interesting is that these cards are spells, which means that Battlegrounds are getting spells!
These Darkmoon Prizes have really powerful and impactful effects and will add a significant strategic element to Battlegrounds.
Some will give immediate powerful buffs, others will grant strong lasting effects, and deciding which Darkmoon Prize is best for you will be a real skill-testing moment.
Here are all Darkmoon Prize tiers.
Patch 19.2 new Battlegrounds minions
Hearthstone patch 19.2 adds 10 new minions to Battlegrounds.
There is a heavy Taunt synergy with the new minions, centred around "whenever a friendly Taunt minion is attacked" card text.
There's also some menagerie and Demon support, and a few all-around cards.
In addition, Righteous Protector, The Beast, Crowd Favorite, and Shifter Zerus have been removed from the Battlegrounds minion pool.
Acolyte of C’Thun
- [Tier 1] 2 Attack, 2 Health
- Reborn. Taunt.
- [Tier 2] 2 Attack, 3 Health
- Taunt. Whenever this is attacked, give adjacent minions +1/+1.
Warden of Old
- [Tier 3] 3 Attack, 3 Health
- Deathrattle: Add a Gold Coin to your hand.
Arm of the Empire
- [Tier 3] 4 Attack, 5 Health
- Whenever a friendly Taunt minion is attacked, give it +3 Attack.
- [Tier 4, Demon] 4 Attack, 4 Health
- After you summon a Demon, gain +1/+1 permanently.
- [Tier 4] 5 Attack, 5 Health
- After a friendly minion with Taunt dies, give its neighbours +2/+2.
Champion of Y’Shaarj
- [Tier 4] 2 Attack, 2 Health
- Whenever a friendly Taunt minion is attacked, gain +1/+1 permanently.
- [Tier 5] 4 Attack, 4 Health
- Battlecry: Choose a minion in Bob’s Tavern. Transform into a plain copy of it.
Mythrax, the Unraveler
- [Tier 5] 4 Attack, 4 Health
- At the end of your turn, gain +1/+2 for each minion type you control.
Elistra the Immortal
- [Tier 6] 7 Attack, 7 Health
- Divine Shield. Reborn. Whenever a friendly Taunt minion is attacked, this gets attacked instead.
To see how these cards look and their gold versions, visit the official Hearthstone 19.2 update post.
Battlegrounds patch 19.2 updates are slated for release on 15th December around 7 pm CET / 1 pm ET / 10 am PT.