The time is here for yet another Hearthstone expansion. Players will need to get ready for a ton of new cards, new keywords, and, hopefully, some free packs!
From now until the next expansion releases, players will be greeted with musical cinematics, dedicated card reveals from content creators, and theory crafting streams wherein the developers show extended gameplay elements. So, let's take a look at the upcoming Hearthstone expansion!
Update on 11 January 2023 - Hearthstone: March of the Lich King is out now!
Hearthstone March of the Lich King Expansion Release Date
The next Hearthstone expansion is confirmed to be March of the Lich King and will be released on December 6.
Hearthstone expansion release dates are relatively easy to predict. Based on previous expansion schedules, we typically expect to see new expansions three times a year at set intervals. Please see the chart below for a look at previous expansion schedules.
- Year Of The Hydra:
- March of the Lich King - December 6, 2022
- Murder at Castle Nathria - August 2, 2022
- Voyage to the Sunken City - April 12, 2022
Year Of The Gryphon:
- Fractured in Alterac Valley - December 7, 2021
- United in Stormwind - August 3, 2021
- Forged in the Barrens - March 30, 2021
Year Of The Phoenix:
- Madness at the Darkmoon Faire - November 17, 2020
- Scholomance Academy - August 6, 2020
- Ashes of Outland - April 7, 2020
As you can see, the first expansion of the year tends to release around April, the second releases around August, and the third releases around December. By that logic, we can expect three expansions a year to be released around April, August, and December. Depending on how Blizzard chooses to approach a particular expansion, we may receive it a little earlier or a little later.
Hearthstone March Of The Lich King New Class - Death Knight
After a recent Reddit post revealed that the next expansion after Murder at Castle Nathria would be revealed in a Twitch live stream on November 1st, fans tuned in to see the next expansion confirmed as March of the Lich King.
The pre-recorded event showed off some new cards and new mechanics that will be coming in the upcoming expansion. Most notably - The Death Knight Class!
Death Knights will have a brand-new hero power, a new keyword, and tons of new cards. Here is some quick information about the new class.
- Hero Power - Ghoul Charge: Summon a 1/1 Ghoul with charge. It dies at the end of the turn.
- Corpses: Whenever a friendly minion dies, you gain Corpse resources. These can be spent by other cards for various effects.
- Runes: Frost, Unholy, and Blood runes will be added to the Death Knight class. Players can select a maximum of three runes for each deck, and Certain Death Knight cards will require different amounts of runes to be included. For example, some cards can only be included in triple Blood Rune decks.
March Of The Lich King New Keywords & Minion Type
Aside from the new features coming to the Death Knight class, there is also a new keyword and a new minion class.
- Keyword - Manathirst: Cards with Manathirst (x) gain a bonus once you have that number of Mana Crystals. Playing these cards does not expend the Mana Crystal cost.
- Minion Type - Undead: Undead is being added as a keyword for new and existing minions. Reborn will also be returning as a Standard keyword.
Minions can now also have dual types, such as Undead / Beast. Some new cards will have dual types, but Blizzard will also retroactively make older cards that fit the theming into dual types as well.
March Of The Lich King New Cards
It was revealed that not only would we be getting the usual amount of new cards for this expansion, but the Death Knight class would be releasing with 68 cards total! Some of these can be acquired by purchasing packs, while others are only available in the Path of Arthas mini-set (purchasable via Gold or Runestones).
As mentioned, most of these Death Knight cards will come with Rune requirements, allowing you to build a mostly Blood, Unholy, or Frost deck. Several cards were revealed in the live stream, which you can check out below.
Alternatively, you can check out our March of the Lich King card list for every new March of the Lich King card (updated regularly for new reveals).