Hearthstone Update v17.0 was released today on PC, paving the way for the card game’s newest set, Ashes of Outland, as well as Demon Hunter, a brand new class.
A spate of new features, hall of fame updates, and quality of life changes were included, not the least of which is the most recent form of duplicate protection when opening packs.
Update 17.0 is now live on PC with mobile coming later today! This update includes:— Hearthstone (@PlayHearthstone) March 26, 2020
🔥 Hall of Fame and Priest Updates
🛡️ Card Pack Duplication Protection
⚔️ Hearthstone Battlegrounds Updates
And More: https://t.co/sf1yZMog30 pic.twitter.com/pTxdLG5s5p
Previously only applying to legendary cards, users will now be protected from opening more than two of the same card until all of the set’s cards of that rarity have been collected.
According to Hearthstone developers, this new change will allow users to spend less time grinding out ladder, or spend less money buying packs, which should make it more feasible to complete their collection before the next set releases.
New and returning players (users who have not logged in for the last four months) will also be receiving a free deck from a class of their choice constructed with cards from the Year of the Dragon, shortening the gap for players who need to play catch up.
The ranked system is also getting a complete overhaul, adding many more tiers of progression and a new MMR system, allowing players to be matched up against opponents of a similar skill level despite their current rank. With the overhaul comes better rewards which are awarded upon arrival in a new rank rather than at the end of the season.
There is also some sweeping hall of fame changes centred on Priest. These changes are intended to widen playable win conditions and solidify their role as a controlling class.
Some notable removals include Northshire Cleric, Shadowform, and Prophet Velen. In order to address the aforementioned issues, Priest will also be receiving several balance changes to cards that will be staying in standard.
In order to mitigate the power flux, new cards will be added to the classic set coming with today’s update and will be automatically granted to players upon logging in, including a legendary minion and some promising rares.
Other changes to iconic classic cards will be coming with the patch, including Acolyte of Pain, Mountain Giant, Mind Control Tech, Spellbreaker, and Leeroy Jenkins.
Players can look forward to playing the Demon Hunter Campaign on 2nd April 2020, and the full Ashes of Outland Expansion on the 7th April.
Hearthstone Update v17.0 patch notes
- Priest Cards Entering The Hall of Fame
- Aucheni Soul Priest
- Holy Fire
- Prophet velen
- Divine Spirit
- Northshire Cleric
- Neutral Cards Entering the Hall of Fame
- Acolyte of Pain
- Mind Control Tech
- Mountain Giant
- Leeroy Jenkins
- Priest Cards Being Added to Basic
- Psychic Conjurer
- Power Infusion
- Kul Tiran Chaplain
- Scarlet Subjugator
- Shadow Word: Ruin
- Natalie Seline
- Priest Balance Updates
- Power Word: Shield
- Old: [Cost 1] Give a minion +2 Health. Draw a card.
- New: [Cost 0] Give a minion +2 Health.
- Shadow Word: Death
- Old: [Cost 3] Destroy a minion with 5 or more Attack.
- New: [Cost 2] Destroy a minion with 5 or more Attack.
- Holy Smite
- Old: [Cost 1] Deal 2 damage.
- New: [Cost 1] Deal 3 damage to a minion.
- Holy Nova
- Old: [Cost 5] Deal 2 damage to all enemies. Restore 2 Health to all friendly characters.
- New: [Cost 4] Deal 2 damage to all enemy minions. Restore 2 Health to all friendly characters.
- Shadow Madness
- Old: [Cost 4] Gain control of an enemy minion with 3 or less Attack until end of turn.
- New: [Cost 3] Gain control of an enemy minion with 3 or less Attack until end of turn.
- Temple Enforcer
- Old: [Cost 6] 6/6 - Give a friendly minion +3 Health.
- New: [Cost 5] 5/6 Give a friendly minion +3 Health
- Old: [Cost 3] Copy 2 cards in your opponent's deck and add them to your hand.
- New: [Cost 2] Copy 2 cards in your opponent's deck and add them to your hand.
- Power Word: Shield
For the full patch notes please refer to the official Hearthstone website.