Anniversary events, special raid challenges, battle-themed events, special shiny Pokémon, and more will keep fans occupied during July, all this without the need to buy a Pokémon GO 2020 fest ticket.
Here's the schedule for everything you can expect in Pokémon GO over the coming weeks.
Pokémon GO 2020 weekly challenges
Week 1: Skill challenge and Pokémon GO’s fourth-anniversary celebration event
The first weekly challenge (which is currently live) revolves around completing three sets of Skill Timed Researches that will be given to you by Professor Willow, all focused on catching Pokémon. The rewards for completing them range from an encounter with Ducklett, an encounter with Flying Pikachu, a Star Piece, and more.
If the following numbers of Trainers from the same team complete this Timed Research, the corresponding Pokémon will appear during Pokémon GO Fest 2020.
- One million Team Instinct Trainers: Chimecho
- One million Team Mystic Trainers: Alomomola
- One million Team Valor Trainers: Chansey
On top of this, if you complete the challenge, Niantic will grant you a GO Fest Elite Skill Challenge, giving you access to several more tasks that are significantly harder, however, these are not mandatory.
A bunch more surprises are waiting for players that log in to Pokémon GO, here's a rundown of all the extra features available this week:
- Flying-type Pokémon and Pokémon wearing party hats will be appearing in the wild, hatching from Eggs, and appearing in raids. Chance to get a Shiny Pidove
- Ducklett will be making its Pokémon GO debut. It’ll be appearing in the wild and hatching from 5 km Eggs.
- Flying Pikachu will be appearing in the wild and in raids. Small chance of getting a Shiny one
- The Jump-Start Special Research will also be available this week for any Trainers who missed out on it during last year’s anniversary celebration
Week 2: Battle-based challenge
Once again, players must talk to Professor Willow to start the Battle Timed Research which will also contain three sets of specific tasks to complete. This time, the rewards will be an encounter with Hitmonlee, an encounter with Absol, a Super Rocket Radar, and more.
Just like Week 1, if a certain number of players from each Team reach the milestone, a special Pokémon will appear when the Fest rolls around:
- One million Team Instinct Trainers: Ferroseed
- One million Team Mystic Trainers: Alolan Grimer
- One million Team Valor Trainers: Alolan Marowak
A battle-themed event is scheduled for the 12th of July, with no specifics about it just yet.
Week 3: Friendship-based challenge
Give Squirtle ALL the berries (Picture: Niantic)
For the last weekly challenge, Professor Willow will grant you a Timed Challenge that focuses on the social aspects of Pokémon GO like sending gifts to friends or playing with your Buddy Pokémon. This week's rewards include an encounter with Alolan Raichu, an encounter with Petilil, a Lucky Egg, and more.
As with previous weeks, trainers from each team will have to work together to get their hands on special Mons for the GO Fest:
- One million Team Instinct Trainers: Togetic
- One million Team Mystic Trainers: Dratini
- One million Team Valor Trainers: Litwick
Week 3 will come with a summer-themed event, here's everything you can expect from it:
- Summer-themed Pokémon will be appearing in the wild, hatching from Eggs, and appearing in raids. Shiny Bellsprout has a chance of spawning.
- Petilil will be appearing in the wild when the weather is sunny and hatching from 5 km Eggs.
- Summer Style Pikachu will also be appearing in the wild
Pokémon GO 2020 weekly challenges dates
The starting dates and times for each weekly challenge are as follows:
- Week 1: Currently live. Ends July 8 at 10 pm of your local timezone
- Week 2: Starts July 10th at 8 am. Ends July 15 at 10 pm of your local timezone
- Week 3: Starts July 17 at 8 am. Ends July 22 at 10 pm of your local timezone.
Don’t forget that on top of these challenges, the Legendary Pokémon Kyurem will make its debut on Pokémon GO, check out our guide on everything you need to know about the 5-star raid.