The Psychic Spectacular is the first major event during the Season of Light in Pokémon GO and that calls for a PvP event to accompany the fun. For the next week, the Psychic Cup will be the special event in the GO Battle League.
Like any special cup that debuts in the Pokémon GO Battle League, there are new rules to follow and plenty of room for completely unique meta. With so many Psychic-types running around in the wild, this cup is both competitive and fresh.
Our guide will go through exactly which picks to bring so you can become the best Psychic-type Trainer.
Best picks for the Psychic Cup in Pokémon GO
The Psychic-type Cup begins on September 8 and it runs all the way to September 15 when the Spectacular comes to a close. In that time, Trainers will have plenty of time to catch Pokémon in the wild and build up their own Psychic team.
- Can Elgyem Be Shiny In Pokémon GO – Psychic Spectacular
- Pokemon GO Psychic Spectacular – Raid Boss Schedules
- Pokémon GO Psychic Spectacular – Field Research Tasks & Rewards
- Pokémon GO Mega Alakazam – Best Moveset, Counters, And Weaknesses
However, some of the best picks will be much harder to get. Below you'll be able to find eight of the best picks in the Psychic Cup. Each option has a set of moves that are important to the effectiveness overall.
- Victini - Quick Attack (Fast) and V-Create / Overheat (Charged)
- Malamar - Psycho Cut (Fast) and Foul Play / Hyper Beam (Charged)
- Claydol - Mud Slap (Fast) and Shadow Ball / Rock Tomb (Charged)
- Wobbuffet XL - Counter (Fast) and Return / Mirror Coat (Charged)
- Bronzong - Feint Attack (Fast) and Payback / Heavy Slam (Charged)
- Galarian Rapidash - Fairy Wind (Fast) and Megahorn / Body Slam (Charged)
- Hypno - Confusion (Fast) and Shadow Ball / Fire Punch (Charged)
- Gardevoir - Charm (Fast) and Shadow Ball / Dazzling Gleam (Charged)
Keep in mind that each of the moves listed along with the Pokémon serves an important purpose. Without the right lineup of attacks, it likely won't be considered one of the best. Pick a good lead and closing option and your team will be golden.
Psychic Cup rules in the Pokémon GO Battle League
Compared to the Little Jungle Cup Remix from last week, the rules in the Psychic-type Cup are much more straightforward. First, every Pokémon must have at least partial Psychic-typing. Dual-types are still allowed as long as one fits the criteria.
Along with the typing, each Pokémon must be at or below 1,500 CP. This brings the Cup into the Great League rankings which are considered the most competitive. In terms of base leagues in the game, it has the lowest CP requirement to participate.
One Pokémon is banned from the Cup and that is the Legendary Mew. It likely has to do with the fact that Mew can have charge attacks with nearly any typing. But any other Pokémon that fits the requirements is allowed in the Pokémon GO Battle League.
Featured image courtesy of Niantic / The Pokémon Company.