As they've explained, this update should have been released earlier, but they have been waiting for "a specific patch to the Steam socket API" to be deployed.
And with Steam's yesterday's update this is finally fixed, and that's why they are releasing the new update today.
And it seems that Valheim 0.148.6 patch is one of the biggest updates to date for the game, with plenty of changes, fixes, server improvements, and much more.
You will now need to repair your fires if you intend to use them for damage (Picture: Iron Gate)
Amongst many changes, we particularly like the one that says that boss drops can now float on water and the fact that night-spawning wolves will not be a nightmare to tame anymore.
Another interesting change is that a campfire, bonfire, and hearth will now simultaneously take damage whenever they are dealing damage. This will prevent some exploits, like those where players were using fire to farm resources and kill bosses.
There have been several interesting balance changes when it comes to equipment as well, though they are more focused on the mechanics, rather than numbers. If you wear heavy armour, now it will be harder to knock you back, and Battleaxe will now hit multiple enemies easier. You won't be able to use Harpoon against bosses anymore though.
(Picture: Iron Gate)
The update also comes with several fixes in regards to servers and connection, which should overall make things more stable and convenient both for those who are hosting servers and for players who are joining them.
Finally, you won't be called a cheater anymore for using developer/debug commands, as the console command for enabling them has been changed to "devcommands" from "imacheater".
Check out the full patch notes below.
Valheim 0.148.6 patch notes
- Campfire, Bonfire & hearth take damage when dealing damage
- Reinforced chest inventory space increased to 6x4
- All boss drops can now float on water
- Sunken crypt entrance tweaked (to stop tombstones from getting stuck)
- Fixed rotation of Wood tower shield on item stands
- Deathsquito & Drake trophy drop rate increased
- 1 & 2 Star creature HP fix
- Night-spawning wolves should be easier to tame now (should stop trying to run away & despawn after starting to tame)
- Harpoon does not work on bosses anymore
- Ingame console disabled by default (add launch argument "-console" to enable)
- The console command for enabling developer/debug commands has been changed to “devcommands” from “imacheater” and a warning message has been added.
- Improved enemy projectile reaction system
- Battle axe tweaks (hits multiple enemies easier)
- Player knockback force is affected by equipment speed modifiers (IE heavy gear will reduce the knockback from enemies)
- Blackforest stone tower tweaks
- Ward system fixes (You can no longer place a new ward where an enemy ward overlaps)
- Comfort calculation fixed
- "Failed to connect" error message fixed
- Serpent trophy stack fix
- Missing Moder spawn location in some worlds fixed (NOTE: For existing worlds "genloc" command needs to be run manually in a local game with dev commands enabled to generate new locations, this is only needed if your specific world has this issue, this is not very common)
- Megingjord item-collider fix
- Added a slight use-delay on Hammer, Hoe & Cultivator
- Hammer remove auto-repeat added
- Better network bandwidth handling (should work better on low bandwidth connections & also use higher data rate if possible)
- Dolmen location fixes (Stop top stone from falling for no reason)
- Fixed removing item from item-stand not always syncing item stats
- Server list refresh button can be pressed before the entire list has been downloaded
- Better bad connection detection
- Fixed issue causing server to send more data the longer a client was connected
- Localization updates