Gamescom Opening Night Live 2021 has just started and the very first announcement is one of the biggest.
The new Saints Row game had been teased last week and it was known that something related to the series would be announced during the Opening Night Live stream.
The only thing we didn't know was if it would be a new or a remake of an older game, but now it has been confirmed that the game will be a complete reboot of the franchise, named only "Saints Row".
The announcement resulted in a brief crash of the game's website, as an army of fans immediately went to the website to find out more about the title, causing the website to become temporarily unavailable.
The game is set in Santo Ileso, a fictional city in the American Southwest, full of crime and lucrative opportunities, and the reboot will feature a brand new crew of Saints: Neenah, Eli and Kevin.
"You play as whoever you want in your journey from Newbie to Boss, kicking ass and fighting… well not crime obviously," the announcement reads. "We’ll talk more about our most extensive character creator ever in time, but it wouldn’t be a Saints Row game if you couldn’t roleplay in a range of roles from bank manager to green-skinned zombie alien monster, would it? Wherever you are in that spectrum, you do you, or.. not, we’re here for it."
The new Saints Row game is set to be released on 25th February 2022.
Below you can check out the full feature list, as provided by developers:
- Witness the Birth of The Saints – Play through an action blockbuster original story full of criminality, extraordinary scenes and signature surprises laced with humor.
- Discover the Weird, Wild, West – Dive into Santo Ileso, the biggest and best Saints Row playground ever, spread across nine unique districts surrounded by the vast, majestic beauty of the Southwest Desert.
- Build Your Criminal Empire – Take over the city block by block, wage war against enemy factions and tighten your grip on the streets with ingenious criminal ventures.
- Fire Guns. LOTS of Guns – Shoot revolvers from the hip, fire and forget with a rocket launcher, or obliterate up close using melee heavyweights, complete with brutal takedowns. A vast variety of familiar and exotic weapons, all customizable, and all deadly fun.
- Take to the Streets and the Skies – Blast through urban and desert environments in any one of the cars, bikes, planes, helicopters, VTOLs, hoverbikes, hoverboards, go-karts or equip your wingsuit to swoop around.
- Unprecedented Customization – Create the Boss of your dreams, with the most extensive character customization suite ever seen in the series, then complete the look with incredible options for weapons and vehicles.
- Seamless Co-Op – Experience everything on offer with a friend at any time, via fully untethered drop-in / drop-out co-op, skipping the need to take either of you out of the outlandish action; play nice together, or play all new pranks on your teammate. After all, who’s the Boss now?