Biomutant is one of the most intriguing games to be released in 2021.
This open-world, post-apocalyptic title is a debut game from developer Experiment 101, and it has been inspired by many classics like Breath of the Wild, Fable, Devil May Cry, Ratchet & Clank, and more.
The game's world is quite intriguing and it brings us to the far future when humans are gone and now the world is being populated by strange humanoid animals.
You, as a player, will be playing as one of those animals as well, and once the game starts, you will be presented with an intricate character creation system that will allow you to choose your stats, class, breed, appearance, and more.
The first two things you will need to choose are your Breed and Class.
Which Breed to choose in Biomutant?
The breeds in Biomutant are essentially genetics of your character.
There are six different types of breeds you can choose from when creating your character at the start of the game.
Each bread will give you slightly different stats and a bit different basic appearance.
You can choose between Primal, Dumdon, Rex, Hyla, Fip, and Murgel.
- Primal is "nimble and dexterous" due to his gene mutation, but that comes at the cost of lower developed Intellect, which affects his Power, Ki Energy, and Energy Regen. They stand out with the fact that they have the highest Critical Chance of all Breeds, which is under the "Luck" attribute. You will want to choose this breed if you are going for a quick and agile build that uses ranged weapons primarily.
- Dumdon is described as "the least developed" and thus has a slightly goofy look, but it actually has the highest melee attack out of all breeds in the game. Though, they have low Health and Energy Regen, so they are not particularly good for face-to-face combat. Their agility and movement speed are great, which makes them perfect for a rogue-like melee build, where you are performing quick attacks while avoiding enemy's attacks
- Rex is an "extraordinarily developed" breed that is best described as a jack of all trades due to his "even DNA string".
They have very high Health, nice Melee Damage, and Intellect stats are all solid as well. This breed looks like a perfect choice when you are not sure what kind of build you would like to play and we think that this is the best pick when you are first time playing the game.
- Hyla has excellent regeneration capabilities, with the highest Vitality stats out of all breeds, which grants them high Armour and Health.
Although there are hard to kill, we are not sure if they can be described as a "tank" class, but due to their low Intellect stats(Power and Ki Energy), they are better combined with physical weapons, instead of using psionic powers.
- Fip is a breed you will want to choose if you prefer to experiment with psionic powers, as it has the highest Power, Ki Energy and Energy Regen compared to all other breeds. If this was a classic fantasy RPG, this would essentially be a mage-type class, with a focus on psionic attacks (spells) and Ki Energy(mana) usage.
- Murgel has the best Barter stats (Charisma) out of all breeds, and the highest Loot Chance. The game describes him as "appearance over function", so his charisma might even open some new dialogues or maybe NPCs will be more friendly towards you. This is the best class if you want to collect as much gear as possible and trade for a lower price.
And there you have it, all six breeds in Biomutant. As you can see, each choice has its pros and cons, and mostly it is not about what's the best, but about which playstyle you prefer.
We hope this was helpful and that you will enjoy your first playthrough!