The Grand Theft Auto V (GTA 5) next-gen version comes with the complete story, as well as GTA Online for PS5 and Xbox Series X/S. Featuring three distinct graphics modes, as well as a plethora of other improvements, this should be the definitive edition of Rockstar Games' massive open-world title. Despite the original being several years old, new and veteran players might run into some connection issues, lag or high latency when playing GTA Online's next-gen version.
With a large influx of players expected, especially since GTA Online is free for the first three months on PS5, and heavily discounted on Xbox Series X/S, we thought it would be a good idea to outline how you can fix connection issues, including Ports to forward, and general fixes for lag/latency.
GTA Online next-gen connection issues - Ports & NAT type
Before you start messing with your gaming setup, we recommend simply checking GTA Online next-gen server status, and restarting both your router and console.
- How GTA Online's next-gen Career Builder works
- How to transfer GTA 5 Story Mode Progress to PS5 and Xbox Series X
- How to pre-load GTA 5 - PS5 and Xbox Series X file size
- How to play GTA V next-gen for free
Now, onto the technical stuff that we only recommend you fiddle with if your connection issues persist.
First up, GTA Online requires the following Ports to be opened:
- Port 6672 (UDP)
- Port 61455 (UDP)
- Port 61457 (UDP)
- Port 61456 (UDP)
- Port 61458 (UDP)
- Port 80 (TCP)
- Port 443 (TCP)
Due to the fact that there are hundreds of router types, we can't exactly show you how to implement Port Forwarding on your specific router.
We do, however, recommend you find your router's manual and forward those ports to play GTA Online's next-gen version without issue. There's also a great guide to Port Forwarding to read through.
GTA Online NAT type:
If the Network Address Translation (NAT) type of your router is strict, you might not be able to play GTA Online at all or suffer from severe connection issues.
Rockstar explains: "If your NAT type is Strict, you will be unable to make a direct connection with most players. This will cause problems such as higher latency (lag), smaller session sizes, longer wait times, and more frequent disconnections. When connection conflicts occur, the game may choose to drop the player with the strictest NAT type."
There are some routers that have a "gaming mode". For most, however, a strict NAT type means they will have to do Port Forwarding as discussed earlier in this guide.
Check out Rockstar Games' support guide on GTA Online and NAT Types, which should help you alleviate connection issues with the next-gen version.
GTA Online next-gen lag/latency fixes
Rockstar Games has provided seven steps players can take to improve lag/latency or alleviate any connection issues with GTA Online.
While some of these steps are basic, such as turning your router on and off again, they should not be overlooked. Check out the steps players can follow to potentially get rid of latency/lag issues in GTA Online's next-gen version.
- Make sure your router's firmware is upgraded to the latest version (very important).
- Unplug your router for 10 minutes and plug it back in. Some older routers degrade in performance over time until it is rebooted, similar to a PC.
- Disable any firewall or other network filtering for the game, or open the ports mentioned above.
- Enable or disable uPnP (universal plug and play) on your router.
- Bypass the router entirely and connect your PC directly to the modem using a wired Ethernet cable (not wi-fi).
- If your router is connected to a gateway (a gateway is a modem and router all in one box), both devices may be performing NAT. To resolve this issue, put your gateway into 'Bridge Mode' so that only your router performs NAT. Consult your gateway's manual or contact your ISP to get instructions on how to put the gateway into bridge mode or obtain your PPPoE information if you have ADSL.
- If you use an ADSL connection, see if dialing a PPPoE connection from the PC improves the NAT Type. Read your device's manual or contact your ISP for instructions.
Remember to first check if there aren't any server issues with GTA Online's next-gen version. Use these tips to fix GTA Online connection issues, lag or latency at your own risk. Most of these tips do come directly from the developers.
Featured image courtesy of Rockstar Games.