The mythical Psychic Pokémon, Deoxys, has finally arrived in Pokémon GO through several limited-time events for the Season of Light update. Trainers will have plenty of opportunities to battle and catch one of the four variations of this Pokémon in the wild and through Raids.
It's been some time since Deoxys last appeared in the game; still, Trainers wanting to catch this Pokémon will need to know how best to engage it in combat. This guide will explore Deoxys’ base stats and weaknesses to determine the best counters and movesets to use in Pokémon GO.
Pokémon GO Deoxys – Best Counters And Weaknesses
Deoxys is more susceptible to attacks from Bug, Ghost, and Dark-type Pokémon, so it would be best to utilize these Pokémon types to gain ATK bonuses during Raids. Additionally, Trainers can add Pokémon whose Charged and Fast Attacks shares one of these types to their battle line-up.
Below we have suggested the best Bug, Ghost, and Dark-type counters that Trainers should use in Raid Battles against Deoxys.
- Beedrill/Mega Beedrill: Bug Bite, Infestation; Fell Stinger, X-Scissor
- Pinsir/Shadow Pinsir: Bug Bite, Fury Cutter, Rock Smash; Close Combat, Submission, Superpower, X-Scissor
- Scizor/Shadow Scizor: Fury Cutter; X-Scissor
- Gengar/Mega Gengar: Hex, Lick, Shadow Claw; Shadow Ball, Shadow Punch
- Banette/Shadow Banette: Hex, Shadow Claw; Shadow Ball
- Mismagius/Shadow Mismagius: Hex; Dark Pulse, Shadow Ball
- Giratina: Shadow Claw; Ominous Wind, Shadow Ball
- Chandelure: Hex; Shadow Ball
- Mega Gyarandos: Bite; Crunch
- Houndoom/Mega Houndoom/ Shadow Houndoom: Snarl; Crunch, Foul Play
- Tyranitar/Shadow Tyranitar: Bite; Crunch
- Absol/Shadow Absol: Snarl; Dark Pulse, Megahorn, Payback
- Honchkrow/Shadow Honchkrow: Snarl; Dark Pulse
- Weavile/Shadow Weavile: Feint Attack, Snarl; Foul Play
- Darkrai: Feint Attack, Snarl; Dark Pulse, Shadow Ball
- Yveltal: Snarl, Sucker Punch; Dark Pulse
Pokémon GO Deoxys – Best Moveset And Stats
Trainers can add Deoxys to their Pokédex by defeating it during Five-star Raids or in the Deoxys Raid Day event in Pokémon GO. However, after this, it would be wise that Trainers understand Deoxys' stats and master its abilities.
- Pokémon GO Legendary And Mega Raid Boss Schedule (September 2022)
- Pokémon GO September 2022 Spotlight Hours – All Featured Pokémon
- Pokémon GO A Cosmic Companion – All Special Research
- How To Catch Cosmog In Pokémon GO
Deoxys has four forms (Normal, Attack, Defense, and Speed Formes) with different base stats for each. Therefore, Trainers must learn and master each. To effectively use Deoxys in combat and determine which moveset is best, we’ve listed the Pokémon’s base stats, including its attack and Combat Power (CP):
- 345 (Normal)
- 414 (Attack)
- 144 (Defense)
- 230 (Speed)
- 115 (Normal)
- 46 (Attack)
- 330 (Defense)
- 218 (Speed)
- 137 (Normal)
- 137 (Attack)
- 137 (Defense)
- 137 (Speed)
- CP range:
- 1,717 - 1,806 (Normal)
- 1,372 - 1,474 (Attack)
- 1,228 - 1,299 (Defense)
- 1,568 - 1,645 (Speed)
- CP range with Weather Boost:
- 2,146 - 2,257 (Normal)
- 1,716 - 1,842 (Attack)
- 1,535 - 1,624 (Defense)
- 1,960 - 2,056 (Speed)
If Trainers are eager to add Deoxys to their battle line-up, these are the best movesets for the Pokémon’s four forms listed below:
- Normal Forme: Zen Headbutt and Hyper Beam
- Attack Forme: Zen Headbutt and Zap Cannon
- Defense Forme: Counter and Thunderbolt
- Speed Forme: Zen Headbutt & Thunderbolt
Despite boasting varying base stats for Deoxys across its four forms, its Normal Forme is the weakest in both PvP and PvE, thanks to its overall low stats, including its DEF stat. Likewise, Deoxys Attack Forme has an equally weak ATK stat rendering it a poor option to use in PvP; we can’t say the same for its Defense Forme.
Deoxys Defense Forme is the best option for battle, be it in the Great League or Ultra League. Even though it’s subpar for PvE, Deoxys Defense Forme has a 330 DEF stat making it extremely valuable, especially when fending off Fighting or Psychic-type Pokémon.
Deoxys Speed Forme is one of the quickest Pokémon, boasting a unique moveset when positioned as a Support. Unfortunately, this legendary Pokémon’s moveset and stats fail to translate for either PvE or PvP.
In this regard, Deoxys Defense Forme remains the best choice.
For all the awesome content, check out our section dedicated to Pokémon news, updates, guides, features, and more.
Featured image courtesy of Niantic / The Pokémon Company.