Beloved voice actor Billy Kametz sadly passed away after undergoing Stage IV Colon Cancer treatment. The JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and Pokémon voice actor announced his diagnosis in April 2022, for which he immediately started chemotherapy as he relocated closer to home during his battle.
Kametz subsequently took time away from his voice acting work to undergo treatment, which he explained in a YouTube video. He stated that while the chemotherapy and other therapy have gone well, he'll keep fighting as he said, "we'll get through this."
Naofumi, Josuke voice actor Billy Kametz passes away
His agent, A "Jinnie" McManus, shared the news of his passing on social media before his obituary was officially published. According to McManus, Kametz's passing "is still not something that feels real" Despite knowing him "both as a client and a friend."
With tremendous and heartbroken regret, we must inform you of the passing of @BillyKametz. Please see his obituary: https://t.co/uKFSt28pXipic.twitter.com/73fPZoCAmV— Point of Contact Booking (@POCBooking) June 11, 2022
"This isn't fair. It's cruel. And I'll never understand it. This will never make sense to me. But I will miss my friend Billy and how it felt just to be in the same room with someone like him. He will never be forgotten."
- Castlevania Nocturne – Release Date, Episode List, and How to Watch
- The Last Of Us TV Series - Release Date, Cast, Story, First look
- Riot Games Reveals New Arcane Bridging The Rift Docuseries
- Netflix Geeked Week 2022 – Schedule, how to watch, and panels
Shortly after Kametz's diagnosis, both he and his agent created a GoFundMe campaign to assist with raising funds for his cancer treatments. Following his passing, McManus provided an update that the GoFundMe campaign will formally close on 14th June 2022 for fans to make their final donations.
"Anything contributed that wasn't already used for Billy's treatments will go toward his celebration of life and funeral. The family would equally love contributions to the Colon Cancer Coalition in Billy's honor if you prefer that," McManus wrote.
Billy Kametz's characters and previous voiceover work
Kametz was one of the most prominent figures in the industry due to his exceptional voice acting work over the years. As he leaves behind a filmography that will inspire fellow actors and the industry, he has lent his talent to popular characters across anime and video games.
Anime and video games fans may recognize his voice, portraying these heroic characters, including:
- Naofumi Iwatani in The Rising of the Shield Hero
- Josuke Higashikata in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
- Galo Thymos in Promare
- Ferdinand von Aegir in Fire Emblem: Three Houses
- Naoto Kurogane in BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle
- Rui in Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
- Nicolo in Attack on Titan
- Metal Lee in Boruto: Naruto Next Generations
- Patrick in Resident Evil: Infinite Darkness
- Dr. Zed in Pokémon The Movie: Secrets of the Jungle
- Ren in Pokémon Journeys: The Series
- Blue in Pokémon Masters
- Nenji Ogata in 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
- Isaac Reed in Wasteland 3
- Takuto Maruki in Persona 5 Royal
Fans and members of the voice acting community can make contributions to the Colon Cancer Coalition or leave behind their condolences on the funeral home's website. We offer our heartfelt condolences to his family, friends, and coworkers during this time of mourning.
For more content, check out our section dedicated to the latest Television news, updates, guides, features, and more.
Featured image courtesy of Twitter / Point of Contact Booking.