If you are a beginner in Valheim and you are still figuring things out, one thing that might have you stumped is how to unlock the first pickaxe. This is, of course, an essential tool players need to mine ores across the map. Here's how you can unlock the Antler pickaxe, and the materials needed to craft upgrades.
Valheim Antler Pickaxe: How to unlock
You can't just craft an Antler Pickaxe with common materials in Valheim. Instead, you will need a special item called Hard Antlers, as well as 10 Wood.
You will also need a workbench once you've managed to get the materials required. To unlock the Antler Pickaxe in Valheim, you will need to defeat the first boss.
(Picture: Iron Gate AB)
We've already got you covered with a full guide on how to defeat Valheim's first boss, Eikthyr. We suggest you get some gear and possibly armour first. However, it is possible to defeat Eikthyr with only a Wood Shield and Flint Spear.
You will also need some buffs, such as being well-rested and eat some food before taking on Eikthyr. To summon Eikthyr, you will also need to get 2 Deer Trophies, and summon the boss via the Mystical altar, which is located in the Meadows biome.
Once you've beaten down the boss, it will drop the Hard Antlers item. Use this item in combination with 10 Wood to craft the Antler Pickaxe via your Workbench.
Valheim pickaxe: How to craft upgrades
While the Antler Pickaxe is a decent starting tool, allowing you to mine Tin and Copper ore, upgrading to a Bronze and later Iron Pickaxes are necessary to progress.
(Picture: Iron Gate AB)
Follow the steps below to upgrade your pickaxe in Valheim to Bronze and then Iron below.
How to craft Bronze Pickaxe in Valheim:
- From Pine Trees in Black Forest, get 3 Core Wood.
- From chests or Surtlings in the Swamp, gather 5 Surtling Cores.
- Use the Surtling Cores to craft a Smelter.
- Get 6 Copper to craft yourself a Forge.
- Mine and smelt 10 Bronze (out of 20 Copper and 10 Tin).
- Using your Workbench, craft a Bronze Pickaxe out of 10 Bronze and 3 Core Wood
How to craft Iron Pickaxe in Valheim:
- With a Bronze Axe, chop down 25 Fine Wood.
- Use the 25 Mine Wood to craft a Forge Cooler, thereby upgrading your Forge to level 2.
- With Bronze Pickaxe in hand, mine Scrap Iron from Muddy Scrap Piles.
- Smelt Scrap Iron into 20 Iron.
- Use your Workbench to craft the Iron Pickaxe in Valheim with 20 Iron and 3 Core Wood.
Your Iron Pickaxe can mine everything the Bronze Pickaxe can. However, it does have more durability and can mine faster, which is a great bonus to have going forward.
Following the steps in this guide, you should easily be able to unlock the Antler Pickaxe in Valheim and upgrade to higher qualities of this very important tool without issue.