One might say that in Valheim, we play as only one class - the Viking class.
That is not true, of course, as the game doesn't have a class-based system. Although Valheim is an RPG, the biggest focus is on survival elements, while RPG gameplay is much more basic.
If you are among those players who would like for the game to have more RPG elements, the good thing is that Valheim is an excellent playground for creative modders to show their skills and add all kind of changes and novelties to the game.
And thanks to the modder that goes by the name Torann, we can now play Valheim with character classes! Torann has created a mod called Valheim Legends, which adds six playable hero classes to the game, each with 3 unique abilities.
(Picture: Iron Gate)
With this mod, you can select and play as one of these classes: Valkyrie, Ranger, Berserker, Mage, Druid, and Shaman.
Each class has a set of three abilities that offer different playstyles themed around that class' fantasy.
Asides from classes and abilities, the mod adds 5 new skills:
Discipline - enhances the power of physical attacks.
Abjuration - increases the power of protection spells.
Alteration - modifies abilities that enhance attributes.
Conjuration - improves the power, duration, or number of summoned creatures.
Evocation - improves abilities that create or manipulate energy.
Abilities are tied to a specific skill, and in order for abilities to become more powerful, you will need to increase related skills.
Check the full list of hero classes below, along with their abilities:
1. Bulwark - Buff: adds a set block bonus to all blocked attacks and adds damage mitigation to the caster
2. Stagger - Attack: immediately taggers all enemies around the Valkyrie
3. Leap - Attack: Launch into the air and come crashing down, applying splash damage at the point of impact
1. Shadow Stalk - Buff: greatly reduces noise and visibility of the Ranger, improves movement speed while crouched, and grants a short (5s) burst of speed
2. Summon Wolf - Pet: summons a wolf companion for a limited time that is more durable, but less damaging than normal wolf pets
3. Power shot - Buff: the next several ranged attacks gain velocity and attack power
1. Rage - Buff: sacrifice health periodically to gain increased movement speed, physical attack damage, continuous stamina regen, and a life-tap for a portion of damage dealt.
2. Execute - Buff: the next several melee attacks gain increased attack power
3. Dash - Attack: dash forward and strike enemies as you pass; damage based on the weapon currently equipped
1. Fireball - Attack: launch a ball of fire that deals splash damage and applies to burn
2. Frost Nova - Attack: create a burst of ice around the caster that damages and freezes enemies
3. Meteor - Channeled Attack: use this ability to call down meteors to strike an area; channel duration (stamina expended) determines how many meteors are created
1. Regeneration - Heal: causes the caster and all nearby players to quickly regenerate health for a short period of time
2. Root Defender - Summon: grows friendly roots around the caster that will strike nearby foes
3. Vines - Channeled Attack: periodically launches piercing vine projectiles
1. Enrage - Buff: increases movement speed and rapidly regenerate stamina for the caster and all nearby allies
2. Shell - Buff: reduces any elemental (poison, fire, ice, etc) damage taken and applies a spirit damage DoT to any attack made by the caster and all allies
3. Spirit Shock - Attack: deals spirit damage in an area around the caster and applies a spirit DoT to any enemy hit
- Read more: Valheim becomes Diablo with Epic Loot mod
In order to play as one of these classes, once you install the mod, you will need to sacrifice an item at the Eikthyr altar:
- Valkyrie - Flint
- Ranger - Raw Meat
- Berserker - Bone Fragments
- Mage - Coal
- Druid - Dandelion
- Shaman - Greydwarf Eye
This mod adds a completely new layer of playing the game, and we hope to see more classes being added in the future. If you would like to try the mod, you can find it at Nexus Mods.