The new title is the sequel to Horizon Zero Dawn and takes players through Aloy's quest as she fights to prevent a mysterious plague that threatens humanity. Horizon Forbidden West has a bigger open-world and more to explore than its predecessor, and players have many ways to customize the gameplay.
Skills are a dynamic facet of Horizon Forbidden West and allow players to explore the depths of all the gameplay. Here is the Horizon Forbidden West skill tree explained for players new and experienced.
Horizon Forbidden West - Skill tree categories
There are many different skills to select from in Horizon Forbidden West, allowing players to totally customize the gameplay to their style. Skills are broken up into six categories as follows:
- Machine Master
With over 160 skills to choose from the six categories, players will gain skill points as they progress the title. Skill points can then be used to unlock more skills, and skills will cost more and more as you get further along Aloy's journey.
Skill tree ultimate abilities - Valor Surges
In addition to the skills, each category has ultimate abilities called Valor Surges. These surges become available when Aloy has filled her "valor meter" and can be absolute game-changing abilities.
Each category contains two Valor Surges making 12 available in total. Valor Surges can also be further upgraded up to three times to enhance their effectiveness.
Here are all 12 Valor Surges and a brief explanation of their effects:
Warrior Valor Surges
- Critical Boost: Increases critical hits and critical damage
- Melee Might: Deals more damage with melee attacks
Trapper Valor Surges
- Elemental Fury: Increases buildup of elemental attacks, gains more resistance to elemental damage
- Trap Specialist: Increases the effectiveness of traps and tripwires
Hunter Valor Surges
- Ranged Master: Deals increased damage with ranged weapons
- Power Shots: Increases damage with Bows, Boltcasters, Ropecasters, and Spike Throwers
Survivor Valor Surges
- Toughened: Restores health and increases resistance to status effects
- Overshield: Provides a rechargeable energy shield
Infiltrator Valor Surges
- Stealth Stalker: Cloaking device (disabled when aiming or using melee attacks)
- Radial Blast: Triggers a powerful shockwave damaging all enemies in the vicinity
Machine Master Valor Surges
- Part Breaker: Deals increased damage to machine components and weak spots
- Chain Burst: Damage chains from between enemies within 15 meters, also boosts knockdown power
Do note, Valor Surges cost more points to unlock than normal skills, in addition to having to fill the valor meter. For beginner players, check out our best skills guide helping you spend those free points wisely in the early onset of Horizon Forbidden West.
Featured image courtesy of Guerilla Games.