League of Legends: Wild Rift is now onto v2.0 and Season 1 of the competitive calendar is just about to start. So it is time to get serious, we have been breaking down each champion showing you how to get the most out of each.
With the arrival of the new patch, a select group of champions will make their debut in the Wild Rift, arriving directly from Bandle City: the Yordles.
To begin our journey, this time we will talk about one of the sorcerers and support champions with the best set of skills in the game, which has given her a pretty high tier when it comes to the best selections for any team: Lulu, the Fae Sorceress.
Lulu: Her active and passive skills
Pix, her faerie companion, is Lulu's passive ability. Pix fires magical bolts of energy when the champion it follows attacks another enemy unit. The beams are directed, but other units can intercept them.
Let's move on to her active skills:
- Glitterlance: Pix and Lulu launch a beam of magical energy that slows enemies. The beams stop when these hit an enemy.
- Whimsy: When used on an ally, it grants them attack and movement speed for a brief moment. If used on an enemy, it turns them into an adorable critter that can't attack or cast spells.
- Help, Pix!: When used on an ally, Lulu orders Pix to jump on an ally and protect them, following them and allowing them to see the enemy. If used on an enemy, Pix jumps straight to them and deals damage.
- Ultimate - Wild Growth: Lulu will enlarge an ally. Nearby enemies will be thrown around and the affected ally will recieve bonus health. For the next few seconds, the ally will also have an aura that slows nearby enemies.
Recommended Runes and Spells for Lulu
Lulu is known for her powerful long-range abilities, in addition to her utility tools available thanks to Pix, making Lulu a careful opponent when standing in front of her. These are her recommended runes:
- Aery: A great resource due to its utility value, as it can damage enemies and protect allies.
- Weakness: Impairing the movement of enemy champions marks them for 5 seconds. While marked they take 5% increased damage.
- Loyalty: Grants hybrid resistance to you and a nearby ally.
- Manaflow Band: Increases your maximum mana by dealing damage to enemy champions.
Lulu, being a support, is mostly used in the lower lane or lane of the Dragon. Having an offensive focus, her summoner spells allow her to finish off or incapacitate enemies with low health.
- Flash: It allows you to have greater escape options in case you don't have your slowing abilities on hand.
- Ignite: Use it as a tool to finish off enemies in case they want to escape with low life, decrease their healing factor, or reveal them in ambushes.
The best items for Lulu
Lulu's item selection should be focused on exploiting her ability power (AP), as well as increasing the impact of her shields and defensive abilities in general, along with a focus on extra mana and ability haste.
- Protector's Vow: When you or your ally take damage, it will summon a shield of 125 fixed damage + a share of current ability power and bonus health, along with a temporary movement speed bonus.
- Ionian Boots of Lucidity: Reduces summoner spell cooldowns by 15%, in addition to granting bonus movement speed out of combat. Recommended to use with Redeeming Enchant for the healing factor, or with Locket Enchant for bigger shields.
- Ardent Censer: Increases movement speed and increases attack speed and magic damage to you and an ally, when using a shield or heal on them.
- Athene's Unholy Grail: Allows you to save Blood stacks when dealing damage to champions. When using a shield or heal on an ally, stacks are spent to heal both.
- Harmonic Echo: Moving and casting skills will store Harmony. At 100 stacks of Harmony, the next shield or heal on any ally will heal this and 3 other nearby allies for a flat 70 health plus a share of ability power.
To complete your composition, we recommend using Randuin's Omen, in case of facing enemies with a lot of AD, or Adaptive Helm for teams based on magic damage.
Tips for Lulu’s play style
Lulu is known for being a ranged-support champion, but this doesn’t mean that her abilities don’t make her someone to be afraid of in clashes, like other melee-style support champions like Braum or Blitzcrank.
Her set of abilities based on shields, slowdowns, and ways to incapacitate the enemy, allows that when well managed, she can completely interrupt the advance of the Dragon lane in favour of the enemies, and counteract any type of opportunity from them to gain an advantage in the game.
Thanks to her partner Pix, she can harass enemies in a more substantial way, given the series of basic attacks that Lulu can inflict with it. In addition, by being able to link it to any ally with Help, Lulu has the ability to make it safer for her allies to enter combat, increasing significantly the impact of their basic attacks.
It’s important that you learn how to use your Glitterlance correctly, especially if you use Help, Pix! Since you will guide the direction of the rays even if Pix is linked to someone else. It’s not a very powerful ability, but it’s one of the most useful in combat.
Whimsy is a double-edged sword, since it allows you to both benefit your allies and deny your enemies, so it’s advisable to raise this ability after Help, Pix!. However, keep in mind that its cooldown can be a bit long, so it’s necessary to learn to make the decision of when to use it since it can save you from many troubles.
Finally, Wild Growth is one of the most powerful weapons within support champions, thanks to the large amount of life, and the slow aura, that it grants. It will be vital to use it at the right times, either in the early phase when your AD Carry has the advantage and you don’t want to risk being ambushed or in team fights for important objectives.
In conclusion, the best way and mentality to play Lulu is aggressively, since her set of attacks is based on allowing her to face any enemy, without risking too much, in addition to giving your allies options to continue in the fight for longer.