One of the early game bosses you'll face is the Night's Cavalry, and there are a few spawn in multiple locations in the Lands Between. This guide explores where to find and how to defeat them plus what boss drop rewards you can obtain in Elden Ring.
Where to find the Night's Cavalry in Elden Ring?
The Night's Cavalry is a group of enemy bosses players likely to encounter during their exploration of the Lands Between. These bosses are pretty large and possess devastating attacks that can quickly deplete your HP.
Often spawning at night, they can be seen patrolling various areas on large horses and wielding massive flails and halberds. While not necessary for you to defeat; however, they do drop some valuable loot and Runes that may be worth your while.
As there are various spawning locations across the Lands Between, you can find the first Night's Cavalry early in the game on a bridge east of the Gatefront Ruins. Here's where you can precisely find them in-game:
- Limgrave: found patrolling a bridge east of the Gatefront Ruins
- Weeping Peninsula: found traveling along the highway west of the Castle Morne Rampart Site of Grace
- North Liurnia of the Lakes: located south of the Bellum Church Site of Grace
- South Liurnia of the Lakes: can be seen patrolling the Gate Town Bridge north of the Highway Lookout Tower
- Caelid: walking along the highway north of the Cathedral of Dragon Communication and the Caelid Catacombs
- Dragonbarrow: is found traveling on a route close to Lenne's Rise
- Altus Plateau: can be seen patrolling the highway from the Grand Lift of Dectus towards the Altus Highway Junction Site of Grace
- Forbidden Lands: can be found in the area en route to the Grand Lift of Rold
- Consecrated Snowfield: two Night's Cavalry bosses are found guarding an Enemy Caravan south-west of the Inner Consecrated Snowfield Site of Grace
It's worth mentioning that the Night's Cavalry at the Forbidden Lands is the hardest one to face due to how tight the area is. You will also have to tackle Militiamen enemies ready to pounce on you, making this boss even more challenging.
How to beat the Night's Cavalry in Elden Ring?
You may find the Night's Cavalry in multiple locations across the Lands Between; however, they aren't difficult to defeat. All Night's Cavalry bosses have similar movesets, which can be exploited if you know their weaknesses, but we advise facing them head-on while saddled on Torrent.
Additionally, long-range weaponry and spells will serve you well when facing any of the Night's Cavalry, making this battle much more manageable. Night's Cavalry is weak to Lightning and Thrusting Physical Damage, which any Heavy Thrusting weaponry can be beneficial in this encounter.
Lightning Damage weaponry like the Dragon King's Cragblade or spells and incantation dealing Lightning DMG like the Thundercloud Form or a Lightning Pot item will also be helpful against the boss. Furthermore, some talismans can boost your Lightning DMG and defense items to protect you from incoming damage.
There are a few movesets to look out for when facing a Night's Cavalry boss, such as a sweeping attack, in which the boss will lunge towards you before it comes down and swings its weapon at you. You can avoid this lunging attack by jumping over the boss or dodging its attack.
- Elden Ring tops Call of Duty sales in the US, according to NPD
- How to get and use the Aspects of the Crucible: Horns in Elden Ring
- How to get and use the Eternal Darkness Sorcery in Elden Ring
- Elden Ring Irina NPC guide – Location, questline, and more
If a Night's Cavalry boss is wielding a Halberd, it will perform a piercing lunge attack, where it will launch itself into the air before thrusting the weapon toward you. You can avoid getting hit by dodging to the left or right of the boss to prevent taking moderate damage.
Once you've managed to knock it off its horse, you can prevent the boss from summoning its horse momentarily by inflicting heavy damage using a Heavy Thrusting weapon. After landing a few hits, it will summon its horse, for which you'll need to summon Torrent before getting attacked by the Night's Cavalry boss.
Don't forget to use the weapon's Unique Skill and your Critical Hit to deplete the boss' HP, especially once you've knocked it off its horse. The Night's Cavalry is most vulnerable when it's dismounted so take full advantage to deal Lightning and Thrusting Physical Damage.
Night's Cavalry boss drop rewards in Elden Ring
Once you've defeated the Night's Cavalry boss, each boss drop will vary depending on where it's located. While all will drop Runes, the amount is likely to double or triple when playing the New Game+ version of Elden Ring.
In addition to Runes being dropped, some valuable items can be applied to your weapons and gear once acquired. We've detailed all the boss drops you'll earn when defeating a Night's Cavalry boss:
- Limgrave: 2,400 Runes (12,000 Runes in NG+) and Ash of War: Repeating Thrust
- Weeping Peninsula: 3,400 Runes, Ash of War: Barricade Shield and Nightrider Flail
- North Liurnia of the Lakes: 5,600 Runes (16,800 Runes in NG+, 18,481 Runes NG+2), Ash of War: Giant Hunt and Nightrider Glaive
- South Liurnia of the Lakes: 5,600 Runes and Ash of War: ice Spear
- Caelid: 8,500 Runes (25,500 Runes NG+) and Ash of War: Poison Moth Flight
- Dragonbarrow: 42,000 Runes and Ash of War: Bloodhound's Step
- Altus Plateau: 10,000 Runes (30,000 Runes in NG+, 33,000 Runes NG+2) and Ash of War: Shared Order
- Forbidden Lands: 36,600 Runes (72,000 Runes NG+) and Ash of War: Phantom Slash
- Consecrated Snowfield: 84,000 Runes, Night's Cavalry Set, and Ancient Dragon Smithing Stone
We like to thank the YouTube channels FP Good Game and Fextralife for the complete walkthrough on locating and defeating the Night's Cavalry in Elden Ring. Please consider subscribing to their channels for more amazing content.
For more fantastic game content, check out our section dedicated to Elden Ring news, updates, guides, features, and more.
Featured image courtesy of YouTube / FP Good Game.