With Diablo 4's arrival drawing ever closer, tons of players are waiting excitedly for the Demon slaying adventure to kick off on the 6 June 2023, or 2 June if you have pre-ordered a version that grants you Early Access. To ensure that all players can hit the ground running, the developers over at Blizzard have recently announced their accessibility options that will break down any barriers for those wanting to jump in.
If you're curious to know what these accessibility features are and how they may even help you when playing the game, then you're in the right place. Below we will explain all accessibility options available in Diablo 4.
All Diablo 4 Accessibility Options Explained
To kick off, the developers over at Blizzard made a statement regarding their approach to accessibility in a recent blog post. Lead accessibility designer Drew McCrory expressed that the only factor restricting exploration in Sanctuary should be interest rather than ability, as the team brainstormed potential accessibility features for the game.
Taking inspiration from the foundation established in Diablo II: Resurrected, the team carefully developed accessibility features that balanced usefulness for players with disabilities without detracting from the gameplay for others. They iterated on these features in their testing phase, refining them to enhance usability without fundamentally changing the core gameplay mechanics.
The result was a range of accessibility options designed to empower as many players as possible. So let's cover them all in detail below.
- Customization is a key aspect of Diablo IV, and this extends to the controls as well. Whether you're using a keyboard and mouse or a controller, all of your inputs can be reconfigured to suit your preferences and abilities. Our goal is to provide a comfortable and confident experience for players as they battle against the minions of Hell.
Skill Toggle and Action Wheel Activation
- By enabling this feature, you can change the way Skills are activated from a button that needs to be held down to a toggle. The same can be done for choices on the Action Wheel.
Swap Left and Right Sticks
- Certain Skills, like the Barbarian's Whirlwind, require the player to press and hold a button by default. These Skills continue until their associated resource cost is depleted or the button is released. However, we understand that some players may experience fatigue or have difficulty enjoying the destructive gameplay when they have to continuously hold down a button.
- Enabling this feature allows you to remap the default inputs for the analog sticks to one side of the controller. This way, you can control the most important buttons and analog stick inputs with just one hand.
Persist Target Lock
- Amid chaotic battles, demons often gather in threatening groups throughout Sanctuary. It can be challenging to accurately hit your intended target amidst the chaos. By enabling the Persist Target Lock feature, your Skills, and weapons will remain focused on a specific enemy, reducing the chances of missing your attacks.
- By default, subtitles are turned on, but players have the option to customize the font color, scaling, and even the opacity of the text's background according to their preferences.
Speech to Text
- Utilizing the microphone on your device, our integrated Speech to Text software can convert your spoken words into text within the chat. Certain in-game tasks, such as defeating powerful world bosses, can greatly benefit from a coordinated team of players. The aim is to provide everyone with the opportunity to participate in the conversation and strategic planning involved in reclaiming Sanctuary from the horrors of Hell.
Font and Cursor Resizing
- Players have the option to adjust the text size in the game, with three available options: small, medium, and large. These size adjustments ensure that the visual quality of the default menus is maintained.
In-Game Gear Audio Cues
- When hovering the cursor over an item, an audio cue will play to assist in locating it. Furthermore, players can now customize which rarity of items triggers the audio cue when dropped. This means that if you specifically want to hear when Legendary Items drop to optimize your farming efficiency, you can make that preference a reality.
Player and Item Highlighting
- We aimed to provide players with an additional means of receiving gameplay-specific information. By default, when gear drops from enemies, you will see an animation and a color indicating its rarity. This feature introduces sound cues to help players of all abilities locate their loot while engaging in demon slaying.
- Items on the ground also emit ambient audio cues, indicating not only their presence but also their rarity. As mentioned earlier, players can choose which types of items and rarities trigger these audio cues.
- To enhance readability, players have the option to enable a feature that highlights players, enemies, objects, and NPCs with a personally selected color outline. We believe that players should be able to glance at the screen quickly and gather as much information as possible, even during intense combat. For more on this, feel free to check out the video embedded below.
- Diablo IV includes a built-in screen reader and offers support for JAWS, NVDA, and other third-party screen reading software. The game's vast world contains a significant amount of text, and we wanted players with visual impairments to be able to dive right in and understand the gear they're using, as well as the options available to them in shops. Enabling this feature allows players to have in-game menu text read aloud to them. Additionally, there are various options to adjust the volume, speed, and voice type for the text-to-speech functionality.
And there you have it, an exhaustive look at all the accessibility settings that will be available in Diablo 4. The developers also urge players to provide direct feedback via the accessibility email address and aid the devs in refining the accessibility and making the game playable for anyone.
For more Diablo 4, be sure to check out our dedicated section or some of our Guides & Tutorials just below:
Diablo 4 Class Builds - Best Barbarian Build | | Best Necromancer Build | Best Sorcerer Build | Best Druid Build | Best Rogue Build | All Classes Tier List | Best Class For Beginners | Build Calculator |
Class Mechanics: Sorcerer Enchantment System | Barbarian Arsenal | Rogue Specialization | Necromancer Book of the Dead | Druid Spirit Animals | Unlock Golems |
Items - Healing Vial | Item Slot Types | Transmogs/Wardrobe | Salvage Items | Durability & Repair | Trading Items | All Unique Items & Stats | Set Items | Item Quality/Rarity Levels | Elixirs | Butcher's Cleaver | Cry of Ashava Trophy |
Features: Beginners Guide | Impressions From Beta |
Quests: Ritual Tower Key | Forgive Me Side Quest | Traveler's Prayer Side Quest | Secret Of The Spring Riddle | Raising Spirits Side Quest | Woodsman Of Nevesk | Fiend Rose |
General D4 Guides: Legendary & Gold Farming | Town Portal | Inventory Size | Stash Size | Beat Lilith's Lament | Beat Den Mother Boss | Beat Lord Avitus Boss | Beat Blood Bishop Boss | Reset Dungeons | Gathering Legions Guide | The Butcher Boss | Leave Dungeons | All Stronghold Locations | Hardcore Mode | Change Difficulty | Unlock/Launch Time | Balance Changes | Patch Notes |
Diablo 4 Tech Guides - Ray Tracing Support | Couch Co-Op | Server Regions | PC Requirements & File Size | Diablo 4 Servers Down? | Connection Issues Fix | Crashing Issues Fix | Unable To Install or Patch | Low FPS Fix | Error Code 34202 Fix | Disable Fog & Glare | Stuck in Queue Fix | Console Issues | PC Issues | Enable & Disable Chat Bubbles | Hit Max Level Fast | Best PC Settings High FPS | Error Code 395002 Fix | Error Code 316719 Fix | D4 on Steam Deck | Offline Mode | DLSS 3 & NVIDIA Reflex |
Crafting/Vendors - Jeweler | Gambling & Obols | Occultist | Alchemist | Blacksmith | | Monster Parts | Skins | Ore | Plants |
Legendary Aspects - Codex of Power | Sorcerer Legendary Powers | Barbarian Legendary Powers | Rogue Legendary Powers | Necromancer Legendary Powers | Druid Legendary Powers
Activities - Strongholds | Nightmare Dungeons | Silent Chests | Altars of Lilith | Helltides | Endgame |
Story & Lore - Campaign Length | Who is Lilith? | Who is Inarius | Deckard Cain | Secret Cow Level | All D4 Acts Listed |
Zones - Fractured Peaks Overview | Scosglen | Kehjistan | Dry Steppes | Hawezar | All Waypoint Locations | Full World Map | Fractured Peaks Chests | Fractured Peaks Cellars |
Stronghold Guides - Kor Dragan | Malnok | Nostrava |
Mounts - Temptation Mount | Diablo 4 Class Dismount Mechanics | Unlock & Customize |
Seasons - Battle Pass Price | Diablo 4 Season Duration | Battle Pass Differences | Get Favor | Next Season Start Date | Season Blessings | Season Journey | Diablo 4 Content Roadmap |
Gameplay Systems - Armor System | Clans | Primary Stats & Effects | Shrines & Buffs | Renown & Reputation | Max Level & Paragon Cap | World Tier Difficulty Levels | Followers/Mercenaries |
World Bosses - Ashava | Avarice | Wandering Death | Beat Ashava | Ashava Spawn Location |
Diablo 4 Misc - Statue of Inarius Price & Specs | Wolf Pack Cosmetic | Codes | Diablo 4 Free-to-Play? | Mother's Inked Title | Collector's Edition | How To Respec | Stagger Mechanic | Patch Notes | Asmongold Diablo 4 Beta Thoughts | Item Shop | Wings of the Creator Emote |
Challenges/Achievements - Necromancer Challenges | Barbarian Challenges | Druid Challenges | Rogue Challenges | Sorcerer Challenges | Crafting Challenges
Diablo 4 PvP - Coming soon!
Our section keeps growing, so check for new guides daily! Don't forget to pick up one of the Diablo 4 Editions and join the fight to save Sanctuary soon.