Every class in Diablo 4 will have a unique mechanic that makes the class more powerful and adds depth to each class's playstyle, and the Sorcerer is no different. The unique ability that the Sorcerer holds is called the Enchantment Slots system, and if you want to know more about it, then we have you covered.
In this guide, we'll break down and explain everything you need to know about the Sorcerers Enchantment Slots system, including how to unlock it, the slot system, its effects, and much more.
Update on 30 March 2023: We've updated this article with the latest details on the Diablo 4 Sorcerer Enchantment Slots system.
The Diablo 4 Open Beta has now ended, and we look towards the game's full launch on 6 June 2023 or 2 June for those with Early Access.
Please note: The Diablo 4 Sorcerer Enchantment Slots System information in this article is from Open Beta weekends and is subject to change at launch. As such, we will consistently update this article to bring you the latest possible information.
Diablo 4 How to Unlock the Sorcerer Enchantment System
To unlock the Sorceress' Enchantment system, you'll simply need to wait until you reach level 15. A slightly higher level than what is required to unlock the Barbarian's unique ability, but once you do, you'll automatically start the "Legacy of the Magi" Priority Quest, and once complete, you'll unlock the Enchantment system.
Diablo 4 Sorcerer Enchantment Slots System
Let's first begin by explaining how the Enchantment Slot system works for the Sorcerer in Diablo 4. Simply put, you will gain two extra slots for your skills on top of the current amount of skill slots you have available; however, slotting a skill into your Enchantment Slot doesn't give you its default ability.
Let's take Arc Lash, for instance; its main ability is to "Unleash arcing lightning that shocks enemies in front of you for 42%. Every ten (10) times Arc Lash swipes, it Stuns all enemies hit for 2 seconds." But, it also has an Enchantment Slot effect that will only become usable once you slot it into the Enchantment Slot, which is "Whenever you are hit, there's a 20% chance the attacker is Stunned for 1 second."
This ultimately means that the Enchantment Slot gives you the ability to tap into any of your skills' secondary or "Enchantment effect" ability, which gives overall gives you more powerful abilities, and more options when using skills than other classes. Lastly, it should be noted that you gain the first Enchantment Slot at level 15 and the second at level 30.
All D4 Sorcerer Enchantment Slot Effects
Now that you know how the Enchantment Slot system works for the Sorcerer, let's take a look at the Enchantment Slot effects for each of your skills to help you decide on which ones you might want to consider for your build.
Basic Skill Enchantment Slots Effects
- Frost Bolt: Lucky Hit: Your direct damage has up to a 100% chance to Chill for 30%.
- Fire Bolt: Lucky Hit: Your direct damage has up to a 100% chance to Burn enemies for 23% over 8 seconds.
- Arc Lash: Whenever you are hit, there's a 20% chance the attacker is Stunned for 1 second.
- Spark: Killing an enemy has a 10% chance to form a Crackling Energy.
Core Skill Enchantment Slots Effects
- Frozen Orb: Whenever you cast a non-Basic Skill, you have a 20% chance to launch a Frozen Orb at a nearby enemy.
- Ice Shards: Ice Shards automatically conjure and fly toward Frozen enemies.
- Fireball: When you kill an enemy, they explode in a Fireball for 50% of its damage.
- Incinerate: Lucky Hit: Direct damage has up to an 8% chance to spawn a rotating Incinerate beam.
- Charged Bolts: Whenever you are hit, there's a 40% chance to release 5 Charged Bolts.
- Chain Lightning: Chain Lightning forms automatically, after spending 100 Mana.
Defensive Skill Enchantment Slots Effects
- Flame Shield: Flame Shield automatically activates when you take fatal damage. It takes 120 seconds to recharge.
- Teleport: Evade is replaced with Teleport on a 17.0-second cooldown.
- Ice Armor: Upon getting hit, you have a 5% chance to apply Ice Armor.
- Frost Nova: Lucky Hit: Critical Strikes have up to a 30% chance to make your active Conjuration Skills unleash a Frost Nova.
Conjuration Skill Enchantment Slots Effects
- Ice Blades: Killing an enemy has a 10% chance to conjure Ice Blades.20 seconds to recharge.
- Hydra: When a Burning enemy is killed a Hydra head spawns from its corpse for 3 seconds.
- Lightning Spear: Absorbing Crackling Energy has a 10% chance to conjure a Lightning Spear.
Mastery Skill Enchantment Slots Effects
- Blizzard: Every 15 seconds, a Blizzard forms over you and follows you for 4 seconds.
- Meteor: Every time an enemy takes Burning damage, there's a 3% chance a Meteor falls on them.
- Firewall: Lucky Hit: Direct damage has up to a 15% chance to spawn a Firewall for 3 seconds.
- Ball Lightning: When Crackling Energy would form, there's a 10% chance Ball Lightning is formed instead.
As mentioned previously, these effects for these skills will only take effect when the skill is slotted into your Enchantment Slot. So be sure to play around with them and see which one works best for your Sorcerer in Diablo 4.
For more Diablo 4, be sure to check out our dedicated section or some of our Guides & Tutorials just below:
Diablo 4 Class Builds - Best Barbarian Build | | Best Necromancer Build | Best Sorcerer Build | Best Druid Build | Best Rogue Build | All Classes Tier List | Best Class For Beginners | Build Calculator |
Class Mechanics: Sorcerer Enchantment System | Barbarian Arsenal | Rogue Specialization | Necromancer Book of the Dead | Druid Spirit Animals
Items - Healing Vial | Item Slot Types | Transmogs/Wardrobe | Salvage Items | Durability & Repair | Trading Items | All Unique Items & Stats | Set Items | Item Quality/Rarity Levels | Elixirs | Butcher's Cleaver |
Features: Beginners Guide | Impressions From Beta |
Quests: Ritual Tower Key | Forgive Me Side Quest | Traveler's Prayer Side Quest | Secret Of The Spring Riddle | Raising Spirits Side Quest | Woodsman Of Nevesk |
General D4 Guides: Legendary & Gold Farming | Town Portal | Inventory Size | Stash Size | Beat Lilith's Lament | Beat Den Mother Boss | Beat Lord Avitus Boss | Beat Blood Bishop Boss | Reset Dungeons | Gathering Legions Guide | The Butcher Boss | Leave Dungeons | All Stronghold Locations |
Diablo 4 Tech Guides - Ray Tracing Support | Couch Co-Op | Server Regions | PC Requirements & File Size | Diablo 4 Servers Down? | Connection Issues Fix | Crashing Issues Fix | Unable To Install or Patch | Low FPS Fix | Error Code 34202 Fix | Disable Fog & Glare | Stuck in Queue Fix | Console Issues | PC Issues | Enable & Disable Chat Bubbles | Hit Max Level Fast | Best PC Settings High FPS | Error Code 395002 Fix | Error Code 316719 Fix | D4 on Steam Deck |
Crafting/Vendors - Jeweler | Gambling & Obols | Occultist | Alchemist | Blacksmith | | Monster Parts | Skins | Ore | Plants |
Legendary Aspects - Codex of Power | Sorcerer Legendary Powers | Barbarian Legendary Powers | Rogue Legendary Powers | Necromancer Legendary Powers | Druid Legendary Powers
Activities - Strongholds | Nightmare Dungeons | Silent Chests | Altars of Lilith |
Story & Lore - Campaign Length | Who is Lilith? | Who is Inarius | Deckard Cain | Secret Cow Level |
Zones - Fractured Peaks Overview | Scosglen | Kehjistan | Dry Steppes | Hawezar | All Waypoint Locations |
Stronghold Guides - Kor Dragan | Malnok | Nostrava
Mounts - Temptation Mount | Diablo 4 Class Dismount Mechanics | Unlock & Customize |
Seasons - Battle Pass Price | Diablo 4 Season Duration |
Gameplay Systems - Armor System | Clans | Primary Stats & Effects | Shrines & Buffs | Renown & Reputation | Max Level & Paragon Cap | World Tier Difficulty Levels | Followers/Mercenaries |
World Bosses - Ashava | Avarice | Wandering Death | Beat Ashava | Ashava Spawn Location |
Diablo 4 Misc - Statue of Inarius Price & Specs | Wolf Pack Cosmetic | Codes | Diablo 4 Free-to-Play? | Mother's Inked Title | Collector's Edition | How To Respec | Stagger Mechanic | Patch Notes | Asmongold Diablo 4 Beta Thoughts |
Challenges/Achievements - Necromancer Challenges | Barbarian Challenges | Druid Challenges | Rogue Challenges | Sorcerer Challenges
Diablo 4 PvP - Coming soon!
Our section keeps growing, so check for new guides daily! Don't forget to pick up one of the Diablo 4 Editions and join the fight to save Sanctuary soon.