You may have noticed that when trekking through the vast and dangerous world of Sanctuary, you'll come across areas called Strongholds that test your experience, skills, and wit when playing Diablo 4. These areas, while difficult, do reward you handsomely for your efforts, and the Temple of Rot Stronghold is no different.
So if you're looking for a comprehensive guide on how to clear the Temple of Rot Stronghold and claim the rewards from it, then we have you covered. Below you can find all the steps required to locate, clear, and beat the boss of the Temple of Rot stronghold in Diablo 4, as well as the rewards waiting for you once it's been bested.
Table of Contents
Diablo 4: Temple of Rot Stronghold Location Dry Steppes
The Temple of Rot can be found in the southwestern part of the Dry Steppes region in Diablo 4. To reach it from Nevesk in the Desolate Highlands, you need to travel northeast towards The Pallid Glade. From there, go south and then west to enter The Accursed Wastes within the Dry Steppes region. The Accursed Wastes surround the Qara-Yisu sub-region, but you can bypass it by heading west towards the neighboring Untamed Scarps.
At the western side of the Untamed Scarps, you'll discover the Temple of Rot situated on its edge. There are three entrances to choose from, but it is recommended to enter through the southwestern entrance to avoid detection and maintain stealth.
Diablo 4: How to Conquer Temple of Rot Stronghold
Before confronting Molqarth at the end of the Temple of Rot in Diablo 4, there are several objectives that you need to complete.
Firstly, you must slay the Cannibal Champions. As you progress through the Temple of Rot Courtyard, you will encounter different Elite species of Cannibals, including Bostar the Breaker in the eastern-central part of the Stronghold, Corpse Spawn, Child of the Devourer in the western-central part, Razorface, the Carrion Zealot in the northern-central part, and Arden, the Ravenous in the southern part.
It is advisable to face each Cannibal Champion individually to maximize your chances of success. Once you have defeated them, you will hear the sound signaling the presence of Molqarth.
The next objective is to locate Molqarth's Lair. Finding the boss is no easy task, as you must navigate through waves of cannibals to reach him. Start by heading right from where you defeated the Zealot Elite Cannibal, entering the Temple Grounds where you can optionally engage in a side quest called "Bound Prisoners." Defeat all the Cannibals in the area and free the Prisoners to receive rewards in the form of loot and potions.
After completing the side quest, proceed to the Devourer's Chamber and defeat the mini-bosses that stand in your way, namely Bonecrusher, Blooddrinker, and Fleshtearer. Once you have overcome this trio of mini-bosses, continue into the other section of the Chamber called the Underbelly, where you will find the boss of this Stronghold awaiting you, Molqarth the Hungerer.
Diablo 4: How to Defeat Molqarth the Hungerer in Temple of Rot Stronghold
Defeating Molqarth, a bloated cannibal with limited intelligence, should not be overly difficult. However, it is important not to become too complacent during the boss fight. Molqarth possesses only two attacks:
- Morningstar Smash: Molqarth swings his heavy Morningstars at opponents. These attacks are easy to avoid by staying out of range. Use this opportunity to refresh your cooldowns.
- Shockwaves: Molqarth smashes the ground with his Morningstars, creating linear shockwaves in a V-shaped pattern. He repeats this action three times, with the shockwaves becoming stronger with each smash. To avoid these attacks, simply stay clear of the V-shaped pattern on the ground.
Once you defeat Molqarth, his second and more formidable form, known as the Spawn of Molqarth, will emerge. The Spawn of Molqarth inflicts incredibly high melee damage, creates poison pools on the ground, and launches poison projectiles at you. It can also leap toward your location to continue the melee assault.
The Spawn of Molqarth possesses three powerful moves:
- Claw Scythes: The beast chases and damages you with its devastating claws. Although you can outrun Molqarth, be aware that its leaps and spawning of fly swarms can make dodging difficult.
- Spread Pestilence: Molqarth defiles patches of the chamber, infecting them with a toxic effect. It is crucial to avoid these contaminated areas during the boss fight. Additionally, Molqarth can summon swarms of flies to distract you further.
- Scythe Leap: This is Molqarth's most powerful attack. It leaps forward, smashing the ground, causing significant damage on impact and creating additional area-of-effect damage.
To defeat the Spawn of Molqarth, keep moving perpendicular to the boss's leaping direction during both phases of the fight. Be particularly cautious when Molqarth's health drops below 50%, as it will perform the Scythe Leap three times consecutively.
Diablo 4: Temple of Rot Stronghold Rewards
After defeating both versions of Molqarth, return to the location where you had the option to release two Bound Prisoners. This is the same place where a hidden Resplendent Chest can be found. Interact with the Resplendent Chest to claim victory over the Temple of Rot stronghold and receive 100 Renown.
And with that, our guide on successfully clearing the Temple of Rot Stronghold in the Dry Steppes region of Diablo 4 comes to an end. We highly recommend tackling this Stronghold at your earliest convenience to obtain valuable resources from enemy drops and to gain valuable experience points overall.
Diablo 4 Temple of Rot Stronghold: How To Beat, Location & Rewards FAQ
Where is the Temple of Rot Stronghold located in Diablo 4?
The Temple of Rot can be found in the southwestern part of the Dry Steppes region on the western side of the Untamed Scarps.
How do I clear the Temple of Rot Stronghold in Diablo 4?
To clear the Temple of Rot Sontrohold, you'll need to defeat four Cannibal Champions, after which you can continue to find the boss chamber. And to find the chamber, you'll need to defeat the mini-bosses that stand in your way, namely Bonecrusher, Blooddrinker, and Fleshtearer. After they have fallen, you can fight the boss and clear the Stronghold.
What are the rewards for clearing the Temple of Rot Stronghold in Diablo 4?
Clearing the Vyeresz Stronghold grants you 100 Renown, as well as the gold, experience, and items you gain from defeating the mobs and the boss itself.
- All Diablo 4 Vampiric Powers, Effects & Pact Requirements
- Diablo 4 Pact Armor: How To Get, Pact Types & More
- Diablo 4 Grigoire Boss: How To Unlock & Unique Rewards
- Diablo 4 Echo of Varshan: How To Unlock & Unique Rewards in S2
- Diablo 4 The Beast in the Ice: How To Unlock & Unique Rewards
- Diablo 4 Lord Zir Boss: How To Unlock & Unique Rewards
- Diablo 4 Echo of Duriel: How To Unlock & Unique Rewards
- Diablo 4 Blood Harvest Events: Locations, Activities & Rewards
- Diablo 4 New Unique Items: Effect, Stats & Class
- Diablo 4 New Paragon Glyphs: Effects, Bonuses & Stats
- Diablo 4 Seasonal Stash Items: Transfers & New Withdraw Tab
- Diablo 4 Hunter's Acclaim: Reward Tiers and Reputation
- Diablo 4 Steam Release Time & Date Countdown
- Diablo 4 Season 2 Nightmare Dungeons Rotation
- When Does Diablo 4 Season 2 Start?
- How To Prepare For Diablo 4 Season 2 Five Essential Tips
- Best Diablo 4 Barbarian Build: Skills, Stats, Items, Arsenal, Legendary Aspects
- Best Diablo 4 Necromancer Build: Skills, Stats, Items, Legendary Aspects
- Best Diablo 4 Sorcerer Build: Skills, Stats, Items, Legendary Aspects
- Best Diablo 4 Druid Build: Skills, Stats, Items, Legendary Aspects
- Best Diablo 4 Rogue Build: Skills, Stats, Items, Specialization, Legendary Aspects
- Diablo 4 Class Tier List: Best Solo Builds
- Best Diablo 4 Build Calculator: Skill Tree For All Classes & More
- Best Diablo 4 Paragon Board Planner
- Best Diablo 4 Class & Build For Beginners
- Best Upheaval Barbarian Build in Diablo 4
- Best Lightning Sorcerer Build in Diablo 4
- Best Fire Sorcerer Build in Diablo 4
- Does Diablo 4 Have Ray Tracing on PC or Consoles? Answered
- Diablo 4 Couch Co-Op Explained: Requirements, Bonus XP & More
- Diablo 4 Server Regions: Is D4 Region-Locked?
- Diablo 4 PC Specs: Minimum, Recommended & File Size
- Diablo 4 Servers Down? How To Check Status
- Diablo 4 Connection Issues: Disconnections & High Latency Fix
- Diablo 4 Crashes or Freezes: How To Fix
- Unable To Install Diablo 4 Error Fix & Patching
- Diablo 4 Low FPS Performance Issues Fix
- Diablo 4 Error Code 34202 Fix: Game Servers Are Not Available
- How To Turn Off Fog & Glare In Diablo 4
- Diablo 4 Stuck in Queue: Login Issues Fix
- All Diablo 4 Known Issues On Consoles
- All Diablo 4 PC Known Issues & Fixes
- How To Enable & Disable Chat In Diablo 4
- Best PC Settings For Diablo 4: How To Get Max FPS & Performance
- Diablo 4 Error Code 395002 Fix: Account Locked
- Diablo 4 Error Code 316719 Fix: Cannot Access Game
- Can You Play Diablo 4 On Steam Deck?
- Does Diablo 4 Have An Offline Mode? - Answered
- Diablo 4 Gets DLSS 3 & NVIDIA Reflex Support
- Diablo 4 on ASUS ROG Ally: Performance & Compatibility
- Diablo 4 Fractured Peaks Guide: Map, Dungeons, Strongholds & More
- Diablo 4: All Waypoint Locations & Rewards For Fast Travel
- Diablo 4 Full World Map Size & All Zone Maps
- Diablo 4 Chests in Fractured Peaks: Spawn Locations & Rewards
- Diablo 4 Cellar Locations in Fractured Peaks & Rewards
- Diablo 4 Altars of Lilith: Locations, Stat Increases & Rewards
- All Diablo 4 Altars of Lilith Hawezar Locations
- All Diablo 4 Altars of Lilith Dry Steppes Locations
- All Diablo 4 Altars of Lilith Kehjistan Locations
- All Diablo 4 Altars of Lilith Fractured Peaks Locations
- All Diablo 4 Altars of Lilith Scosglen Locations
- Diablo 4 Healing Vial (Potions): Levels, Upgrade Costs & Effects
- All Item Slot Types in Diablo 4's Inventory
- Diablo 4 Transmogs Explained: How To Change Your Wardrobe
- Diablo 4 Salvage Items: All Materials For Upgrades & Crafting
- Diablo 4 Item Durability & How To Repair
- Diablo 4 Trading Guide: How To, Item Restrictions, Currencies & More
- Diablo 4 Uniques: All Unique Items & Stats
- Diablo 4 Unique items for all classes: Powers and Stats
- Will Diablo 4 Have Set Items? Release Date Speculation
- Diablo 4 Item Quality (Rarity): Unique, Legendary, Rare & More
- All Diablo 4 Elixirs Types: Materials, Buffs, How To Craft & More
- Get The Butcher's Cleaver Unique Item in Diablo 4
- How To Get Cry of Ashava Mount Trophy
- Diablo 4 Incense: All Types, Materials & Effects
- Diablo 4 Ancestral Legendary Item Drops: How To Unlock
- Diablo 4 Sacred Legendary Item Drops: How To Unlock
- Diablo 4 Barbarian Challenges: All Title Rewards & How To Complete
- Diablo 4 Necromancer Challenges: All Title Rewards & How To Complete
- Diablo 4 Sorcerer Challenges: All Title Rewards & How To Complete
- Diablo 4 Druid Challenges: All Title Rewards & How To Complete
- Diablo 4 Rogue Challenges: How To Complete & Title Rewards
- All Diablo 4 Crafting Challenges & Title Rewards
- All Diablo 4 Hardcore Challenges & Rewards
- All Diablo 4 Monster Kill Challenges, Types & Rewards
- All Diablo 4 Dungeon Challenges & Title Rewards
- Diablo 4 Codex Of Power & Legendary Aspects Explained
- All Diablo 4 Sorcerer Legendary Aspects & Powers
- All Diablo 4 Legendary Aspects & Powers For Barbarians
- All Diablo 4 Rogue Legendary Aspects & Powers
- All Diablo 4 Necromancer Legendary Aspects & Powers
- All Diablo 4 Druid Legendary Aspects & Powers
- Strongholds in Diablo 4 & Rewards Explained
- Where To Find All Stronghold Locations In Diablo 4
- Diablo 4 Kor Dragan Stronghold: How To Clear & Rewards
- Diablo 4 Malnok Stronghold: How To Clear & Rewards
- Diablo 4 Nostrava Stronghold: How To Clear & Rewards
- Diablo 4 Moordaine Lodge Stronghold: How To Clear, Location & Rewards
- Diablo 4 Tur Dulra Stronghold: How To Clear, Location & Rewards
- Diablo 4 Ruins of Qara-Yiso Stronghold: How To Beat, Location & Rewards
- Diablo 4 Ashava Spawn Times, Location, and How To Beat Easily
- Diablo 4 Wandering Death World Boss: How To Beat, Spawn Location & Loot
- Diablo 4 Avarice World Boss: How To Beat, Spawn Location & More
- Diablo 4 Lilith's Lament: How To Beat Final Act 1 Boss
- Diablo 4 Den Mother Boss: How To Beat, Location & Rewards
- Diablo 4 Staggering System Explained: How To Stagger Bosses
- Diablo 4 Lord Avitus Location, How To Beat and Loot Drops
- Diablo 4 The Blood Bishop Location, How To Defeat, Loot Drops
- Diablo 4 The Butcher Location, How To Defeat, Loot Drops
- Diablo 4 Armor System: Damage Reduction, Monsters & More
- Diablo 4 Clans: How To Create, Ranks, Permissions & More
- Diablo 4 Primary Stats & Effects Per Class Explained
- All Diablo 4 Shrines & Buffs
- Diablo 4 Renown: How To Earn & Rewards
- Diablo 4 Max Level And Paragon Points Cap
- Diablo 4 World Tier Difficulty Levels, Requirements & Unlocks
- Does Diablo 4 Have Followers? Answered
- Diablo 4 Paragon Board: Tile Types, Glyphs, Sockets & More
- How To Farm Glyphs Quickly In Diablo 4's Endgame
- Diablo 4 Glyphs: How To Upgrade, XP Per Level & More
- Diablo 4 World Tier Difficulties Won't Have Level Requirements After All
- How To Prepare For Diablo 4 Season 1 Five Essential Tips
- Diablo 4 Season 1 Nightmare Dungeons Rotation
- All Diablo 4 Sorcerer Malignant Hearts & Stats Detailed
- Diablo 4 Season Journey: All Rewards & Objectives in Season 1
- Diablo 4 S1 World Tier Difficulty Changes: Monster Level Scaling, XP & Bonuses
- How To Farm Ichor Quickly in Diablo 4 Season 1
- How To Craft Malignant Hearts in Diablo 4 Season 1
- All Diablo 4 Barbarian Malignant Hearts & Stats Detailed
- Diablo 4 New Unique Items & Power Stats in Season 1
- Diablo 4 Season 1 New Legendary Aspects & Powers Detailed
- Diablo 4 Malignant Hearts For All Classes: Stats & Effects
- Diablo 4 Season 1 Level Requirement Caps For Sacred & Ancestral Items
- Diablo 4 Season 1 Varshan the Consumed Boss: Location & Rewards
- Diablo 4 Hardcore Characters Need To Be Alive For Season 1 Renown Progress
- Diablo 4 Malignant Hearts Types & Powers in Season 1
- Diablo 4 Scroll of Amnesia: How To Get & Effect
- When Does Diablo 4 Season 1 End? Countdown To End Date & Time
- Diablo 4 Seasonal Characters: Progress, Unlocks & More
- Diablo 4 Malignant Hearts: How To Get, Unlock & Use
- Diablo 4 Battle Pass Price: How Much Does It Cost?
- How Long Are Diablo 4 Seasons?
- Diablo 4 Battle Pass Differences, Explained
- Diablo 4: How To Get Favor
- When Does Diablo 4 Season 1 Start?
- Diablo 4 Season Blessings Explained
- What is Diablo 4 Season Journey? Explained
- Diablo 4 Roadmap, Features, Seasonal Content & More
Our section keeps growing, so check for new guides daily! Don't forget to pick up one of the Diablo 4 Editions and join the fight to save Sanctuary soon.